5 - YELLOW BLAZERS ARE SO LAST SEASON

Start from the beginning

Diana pursed her lips, shaking her head, following the girl towards the line, looking around for Cindy Moon, holding the paper tightly in her hands, not wanting it to blow away in the wind.

She climbed in the bus, following Gwen and Harry, sitting towards the back. She sat in front of them, turning around in her seat to look at them over the cushion, smiling. They smiled back, Gwen already laughing at the situation that had occurred a mere few minutes before.

Diana turned back around to look at the students climbing inside, trying to find Cindy. She caught sight of the small girl climbing in, talking to Hector Cervantez, another freshman.

Diana called out her name, waving, holding up the paper as an explanation. She tried to ignore some of the looks she received from the others in the bus, opting to just sit back down, blushing.

The girl appeared at her side a few moments later, sitting down. "Hey, Diana, what's up?"

Wordlessly, Diana handed over the paper, not wanting to speak and end up regaling the mix-up from earlier. Cindy scanned it over quickly, instantly brightening.

"Awesome! Yeah, I'm trying out for the hockey team. Thank you so much for bringing this to me, it's really important. It's got all the practice times and equipment so I can get prepared in case I get in." She settled in her seat, folding the paper and placing it in her bag.

"Cool," Diana commented, "Do you like playing hockey?"

Cindy nodded excitedly. "Yeah! Back in the eighth grade, Hector and I both saw this little ad thing at our school for kids who wanted to join next year, the school would help you out, get you ready. It was so much fun, they say I'm really good, but I dunno. It's fun, though, I love it. You're not really the sporty type, though, right?"

Diana shook her head. "No. Not really the smart type either, I don't even know where we're headed to."

Cindy smiled, laughing softly. "Well, we weren't all born with knowledge, we learned it. We're heading over to the New York Hall of Science in Flushing Meadows. Um, that's in Queens, if you didn't know." Diana did not and said as much.

Cindy smiled again, "Now you know. We're going to the look around the place for the first half of the day, then watch the demonstration of safe handling of nuclear laboratory waste materials. It's sponsored by General Techtronics Laboratories East and it's a big deal for a lot of people."

Diana nodded as she finished, staring at the smaller girl with wide eyes. There had been some talk that Cindy had an eidetic memory and, considering how she excelled in class as well as their conversation, Diana was inclined to believe the rumors.

"This should be fun," Diana said, looking out the window to watch the city move past, staring up at the skyscrapers with the sort of childlike awe that she always had when in the city.

"Yeah," Cindy agreed, also looking out the window, "I have a feeling this will be life changing."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

REWRITTEN: MAY 30, 2017/REPUBLISHED: JUNE 5, 2017

Ah, I know this is really short and I wanted to just put the whole field trip into one chapter, but it got too long, so I cut it into two parts. I'm really disappointed in myself, I wanted to get it all into one chapter that wasn't too long.

Oh well, the next chapter has the really cute stuff, so, I'm glad I can just add more of it now.

That situation that happened to Gwen with the Cindy Moon mix-up happened to me, including the casual racism quip, which was why I included it.

Some (or maybe none of you) might be wondering who that girl in the gif is of. That is of Tiffany Espensen who is playing a character known as, from the IMDB page, Cindy. As in, I'm pretty sure Cindy Moon. Can you hear me screaming, I can hear me screaming (I also high-key want Marvel to make a Silk or Spider-Gwen movie so I can try to audition to play either Cindy or Gwen because I want.)

If I did my research on the IMDB page and in canon correctly, they have switched Peter's favorite science teacher from Mr. Warren to MS. Warren, who is played by a woman of color, we saw her in the trailer, I think. I approve. I mentioned her because I saw in the trailer that Flash and Peter were in the same class for science, so I just put it at the beginning of the day.

Sally Avril was part of Flash's group, along with Jason Ionello, Seymour O'Reilly, and Brian "Tiny" McKeever. She later became a hero of sorts, but she was also pretty mean, dissuading Liz Allan from comforting Peter after the death of Uncle Ben