25: Make Yourself At Home

Start from the beginning

That wasn’t comforting. “You’re telling me one of my friends is dead and Caelus is walking around wearing them like a suit?”

“Basically. Is that enough incentive for you?”

“Can’t you put the person back in their body after Caelus is…”

“No. Caelus will die this time. Make no mistake about that. And with him, so will the body. There is no wiggle room here, Oracle, and it’s something I refuse to apologize for.”

“You can’t make me kill someone.”

“Then you will have the blood of the world on your hands. All the suffering your friends and family will endure will be at your feet.”

“Don’t put that on me.”

“Why not? Demigods are made for killing. That’s the point of your existence. Killing Caelus is your purpose.”

“I’m not just a demigod, Eros.”

“You are the Oracle as well, I know. It will keep you sane far longer than the demigods who came before you. Then again, it also might drive you insane quicker. Who knows what the future holds?”

His smile was cruel and I knew that last dig was directed towards me specifically. It only made me angry. Probably not the reaction he wanted out of me.

“All I know is Gaia is keeping me from seeing a lot of things I need to. The only excuse she gave me was I wasn’t ready to know what happens yet and I find that to be a bunch of bull.”

“You’ll understand soon enough. You have a very deductive mind and therefore will figure events out without having to see them.”

“You’re being very ominous.”

“Habit, I’m afraid. Now, we need to talk about Caelus.”

“I thought we were talking about Caelus.” He cocked an eyebrow and I knew my snark wasn’t being appreciated. I sighed and said, “What about him?”

“You still don’t remember who he is?”

“No.”

“That is indeed very inconvenient. You’ll need to recover those memories and soon.”

“Why?”

“Because Caelus needs to wake Gaia before the rest of his plans are enacted. In order to stop him before he even starts, we’ll need to know where, and who, he is. Only you can tell us that.”

“Wait.” I leaned forward, my hand flat against the marble counter so I wouldn’t end up trying to kill Eros. “The man, the one in shadows, keeps telling me to “wake her up”.”

“Indeed.”

“You’re telling me the shadow man is Caelus? He’s the one haunting my visions?”

“I’m telling you you’ve always known it was Caelus. You just never wanted to admit it. Gaia is the only one who needs to be woken up.”

“Why can’t I see him then?”

“Because he’s keeping you from seeing him. It’s a talent only a few of the Gods have.”

“Zeus?”

He nodded. “It is how he keeps his anonymity. Only a select few know what he really looks like, Gods and Goddesses excluded. Not all of us like our faces out there.”

“Like you?”

“I stay out of the lime light for the simple fact of blending in. If no one knows what you look like, no one will bother you.”