Daryl turned around, "come on we can argue more later."

Daryl felt guilty for being so rude to Paul but the man needed to have a good headspace before a battle like this one. Going in emotional can get you killed. Plus Daryl didint feel like sharing anything emotional like that with Paul. Rick had asked him to watch out for the younger man and this was his way.

The rest of the walk was silent

They stood outside the side of the Church.

"We should find places to hide that aren't in the church, so we can take some people down quietly." Paul's head gravitated towards a tree, and proceeded to climb it.

"Do you always have to pull ninja shit. What about me?" Daryl watched the man shimmy up the trunk.

"I don't know hide in a bush." he peeked his head from over a branch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The wait was painfully too quiet, even for Daryl's liking. He would rather listen to Paul blabber on than sit in the shrubbery and wait in the silence.

Paul didnt mind though, for once he didnt feel awkward for not filling the still with conversation. He dug his knife into the branch of the tree, carving out a little heart.

It wasn't long after then that they heard the low rumble of trucks and the squeal of the gate. Daryl drew his knife and looked up to the man in the tree, who was looking back it him.

Trucks with the beds full of men whipped through the community, followed by those on foot. The two men dug themselves deeper into the shadows.

Footsteps grew closer. Paul prepared to jump from the tree, but stopped when he saw Daryl signal him to stay. Two men turned the corner of the front of the church. The two waited until they were close enough.

At the same time Paul jumped from the tree, tackling one, while Daryl took the second down from behind. They dragged the Saviors bodies next to the brush where Paul now joined Daryl. They patted the men down, taking their guns and knives. Rick was right, they were a good team.

More trucks passed by every so often, like they were patrolling. But more Saviors started roaming the streets.

"They arent dumb, they know people are still in the community." Paul leaned in close and whispered, "if they didnt think people were still here they would have just started looting and left."

Daryls hiding spot was already tight. But add Paul and two dead bodies to hide, it was cramped. He shrugged away from the shoulder that leaned on him. and Paul noticed

Soon more people started walking by, and more people were silently killed by the two men.

After waiting in the shadows for what felt like hours, a single gunshot rang throughout the community. Daryl and Paul looked at eachother. It was time. Gunfire and yelling exploded out around them.

As soon as they stood to take part in the battle a gun cocked behind them.

Daryl could feel the barrel pressed at the back of his head.

"move and i kill him" the dark figure grumbled.

Paul turned to towards the voice with wide eyed with his hands up, his eyes flashing between the attacker and Daryl.

Daryl moved his eyes from the ground to meet Paul's eyes and gave a little nod.

Immediately Paul lurched towards the man reaching for the gun , Daryl ducking and turning to tackle his legs. Paul was unable to pry the firearm out of the saviors hands and as he fell, the gun fired.