“Go inside.”

His head snapped up and he stared up at Brandon as if he had just grown three heads.

“What?” Aiden gaped at Brandon in disbelief.

Brandon’s dark brow rose as he crossed his arms. “Go inside.”

Aiden leaned back and let out a bitter laugh. “And why should I?” he questioned with challenge reflecting in his eyes. “She obviously doesn’t want me to be here.”

“And since when has that stopped you?” Brandon narrowed his eyes. “She needs you right now. So why don’t you stop acting like a five-years old and for once just be there for her?”

Aiden sprang to his feet and his nostrils flared in anger.

“Why don’t you mind your own business?” He stepped closer to Sheila’s brother, silently challenging him.

“It shows what kind of a father you are going to be doesn’t it? I mean, you don’t even want to witness your child’s birth.” That hit home. Brandon stepped back, mockingly raising his hands. “But hey, I will mind my own business.”

Aiden watched Brandon with an icy glare as the latter turned around, muttering something about getting coffee to Alyson, before walking down the hall. Aiden slumped back onto his chairs. Spreading his knees, he placed his elbows on them, unconsciously rubbing his temples.

Brandon was right, wasn’t he? What kind of a father wouldn’t want to witness his own child’s birth? He grimaced, knowing the answer all too well. His father. His own father, who had run away as soon as he found out that Aiden’s mother had been pregnant. Growing up, Aiden had sworn to never turn into his father, to never make the same mistakes. And he never did. Up until now.

Shaking his head, he pushed the thoughts about his father away. With a newfound determination he rose back to his feet and walked over to Alyson.

“Which room?” he asked, towering over her. Alyson pointed to her right and with a few quick steps he was at the door. Without hesitating he pushed the door open, strode in and the door clicked shut behind him.

He froze in his steps when his eyes met Sheila’s wide ones. His eyes ran over her face down to her hands, which were gripping the bed sheets tightly. Before his eyes could move further down, a tall figure blocked his view.

“And you are?” the smiling nurse in front of him - a midwife he assumed- asked him.

“The f-father,” he managed to stutter out.

A loud groan made both - Aiden and the midwife - turn towards Sheila, who had her eyes closed and was gripping the sheets even tighter.

“Please… let him…stay.” Sheila’s breaths came in gasps as she opened her eyes back again and Aiden immediately rushed to her side with wide eyes.

“Sheila, I…I-“ Before he could say anything coherent, Sheila grabbed his shirt, yanking him down with a surprising strength.

“I hate it when you tower over me,” she said through gritted teeth and groaning she threw her head back. Aiden paid no attention to his shirt but glanced nervously at Sheila’s lower half, which had a blanket draped over.

“Is everything okay?” he asked, eying her stomach warily.

“No!” Sheila snapped angrily.

The midwife let out a laugh. “Everything is fine,” she assured while putting on some gloves. “In fact, I think you’re ready to push.”

“No!” This time Sheila’s voice was filled with panic. She turned her head and stared at Aiden pleadingly. “No. Aiden…I can’t do this. Please. I can’t do this.” Her right hand moved up to his collar, grabbing it tightly. “Please.”

Taken aback, Aiden looked from Sheila to the midwife, who has pushed the blanket over back and forced Sheila’s knees further apart. A splitting scream brought his attention back to Sheila. Ignoring his fast heartbeat, he gently pried her fingers off his shirt and took her hand in his. He leaned forward and rested his forehead on her cheek.

“You can do it, Sheila,” he whispered gently in her ear, earning a hard hand squeeze as a response. “You can do it.”

The next hour passed in a blur, filled with screams and heavy panting. Aiden’s eyes never left Sheila’s face as he continued to whisper encouraging words in her ear. And even as a high-pitched crying filled the room his eyes remained on her face. When her eyes closed in exhaustion and the grip on his hand loosened, panic coursed through him and his head dropped onto her shoulder.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered with choppy breaths. “I’m so sorry.”

I'm not happy with the way I wrote this but it's 2 a.m. and I'm too tired, too cold and too hungry (why am I even hungry?:S) to care....Ehm...

So I bought four books the other day and I told myself I wouldn't start reading those until I'm done writing this part! And I'm done! I can finally start reading those books!:D

Once again thank you for all the votes and comments!:) Only one more part left.

Love, Chiara