"Ready to go?" Richard asked after he had eaten.  

"Yes. Just let me change clothes first." I said, standing.  

"I'll go saddle the horses then." He stood and made his way outside. I practically ran up to my room to put on pants under my dress. After making sure to cover my legs properly so if my dress pulled up they wouldn't show, I ran back to the stable where the horses were kept to meet Richard. He was already inside, dressing two horses for riding. 

"Ready to ride, Princess?" He asked. 

"Of course. I'm always ready for riding." I mounted one of the horses and he on the other. "Shall we?" 

He nodded and we took off into a field. I noticed some men talking nearby. One of them was the prince. I tried not to groan when I saw him. There was really no reason for me to dislike him. He had done nothing to me. Just the fact that he had talked to Natalie the night before set me on edge.  

"Juliet? Are you paying attention?" Richard asked. I looked at him just as my horse reared, whinnying loudly and nearly throwing me off. I pulled the reigns tighter as I'd been taught and my leg muscles tensed, ready to be thrown.  

"Whoa boy! Easy!" I yelled, trying to regain control. He bucked and I fell off the horse and into the dirt. The men laughed at me, saying how a girl shouldn't be riding but the prince didn't. He sprinted over. I sat up and shook my head slightly. I wanted to yell at the laughing men but decided against it as soon as I saw Jacob running toward me.  

"Are you alright?" He cried.  

"Uh huh." I said, a bit dazed but still angry. 

"Nasty fall, huh?" He was laughing now.  

"Tell me about it." I dusted off my dress and smiled at him as he helped me to my feet. His hands were warm and my fingers lingered on them for half a second before I realized it and snatched them away.  

"I'm Jacob." He said as if I didn't already know. 

"Juliet." I said and then my face flushed when he laughed.  

"Like the play?"  

"Yeah, I guess." I said, a little embarrassed. The play of Romeo and Juliet is huge around here. Everyone talks about it nonstop. Apparently, William's life is looking pretty good right now.  

"I'm sorry." He put on a straight face.  

"It's fine. I like my name though." I laughed. His blue eyes sparkled when he smiled. I felt myself zoning out for a second and then I snapped back to reality. I grabbed onto the horse's reigns and calmed him down. He stopped his nervous trotting in place and allowed me to touch him.  

"So, Juliet, you enjoy riding?"  

"Yes. Very much." I smiled and stroked the horse's neck. Richard was settling down his own horse when a messenger ran toward him and spoke swiftly and softly. I didn't catch what he said but it sounded important. He nodded once and dismounted.  

"My apologies, Prince and Princess but I must be off to see to some . . . difficulties." He said. I nodded and he followed the messenger. Oh so he just conveniently had to run off. Of course. 

"Well do you mind if I ride with you?" Jacob asked, now taking a hold of the other horse.  

I sighed dramatically. "If you must." I mounted again and he followed suit. Soon, we were trotting down a dirt path into the trees. I listened to the sweet sound of birds calling to one another. It was beautiful. We talked as we rode, laughing at stories and agreeing on how stern our parents are.