"I didn't know you would be here, Juliet." She looked like she'd just smelled something very bad and her voice matched it.  

"Of course. Everyone from the neighboring kingdoms was invited." I said politely. She didn't deserve it but I would not stoop to her level.  

"Obviously the prince has never met you before." She laughed to herself, "No man in his right mind would invite you to anything."  

I plastered a smile on my face, "Oh, Natalie, I pity you." Her smile faded slightly, "I just hope maybe this time you'll get the prince. Last time was so very tragic." I jutted my lower lip out into a pout. Her eyes sparked with anger and she stepped closer to me, her face inches away from mine.  

"You'd better watch it, princess," She sneered, "I'll rip you apart." Two other girls came to us then, flanking Natalie on either side. She straightened her back and smiled at me mockingly. "Best of luck to you. You'll need it." She strode away with her followers right behind her. I sighed and leaned back against the wall, praying the night would end soon.  

Last year, Natalie had been invited to the kingdom of Karell to meet the prince, similar to what was going on now. She had messed up when speaking to him and had made a complete fool of herself. She was devastated when the prince chose another girl instead of her.  

Natalie has always made fun of my kingdom of Luna. There, girls are considered equal to men and can do anything they please. Most countries don't like the policy and so find us primitive. I don't care. At least I am happy.  

"So how do you like Moran so far?" Richard asked, suddenly appearing beside me.  

"It's very beautiful. The people are nice as well." I commented absentmindedly. "It's nice that the King invited all these people here to meet his son."  

"Yes, well, the Prince isn't very happy about it. His father has been pushing him very hard lately."  

"Oh. Well, it will make his father happy, at least." I shrugged. Richard frowned.  

"I don't like it when Jacob is unhappy. He's my friend." He said defensively.  

"Sorry, Richard, I forgot you're so close to him." Richard is Jacob's servant and best friend. I don't understand how such a relationship can occur but if it makes them both happy, I suppose it doesn't matter. "I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to retire." I said, holding back a yawn. He nodded.  

"In the morning, milady?"  

"In the morning." I agreed and ascended the staircase to my room.

The next day, I woke and threw on a light blue dress. After fixing my hair, I went downstairs to the dining hall where breakfast was laid out. People sat at tables, talking and eating fruit. I grabbed an apple and sat down by myself. Richard found me and joined me at the table, holding his own apple.  

"Good morrow, Princess." He said. I rolled my eyes.  

"Good morrow to you as well, Richard." I said. He was always using formalities. I absolutely loathe it.  

"Would you like to join me for a ride?" He asked. My eyes widened in delight. I nodded eagerly.  

"What time?" I asked. 

"After breakfast." He said, taking a bite of his apple. I ate mine impatiently and bounced a little as he ate his. I looked around, examining the faces of those eating. Natalie's high laugh sounded over the chatter, sounding clear and beautiful as a bell. I frowned when I saw her surrounded by her followers and men all hoping to please her. It sickened me.