Chapter II

Shane sat across from me, his long legs stretched out in front of him resting on the coffee table which held our drinks and our bags. His hands rested on the back of his crew cut blonde hair. His clubmaster sunglasses covered the fact that he had a condition in his eyes that had made him almost completely blind. The small cafe across the street from our apartment had terrible coffee, but great WiFi so it was a common hangout.

"What are you doing for Ezra's birthday?" Shane's question makes me look up from my phone.

"I dunno, I think everyone expects us to throw the party. Which means, that I'm cleaning the apartment and decorating it."

"Yeah, 'cause I'm not going to," he chuckled.

"Oh! Careful mister, you're still not completely helpless. You can call his friends and invite them." Shane made a gagging sound that made me chuckle. I lived with in an apartment with Ezra and Shane and Ezra's birthday was tomorrow. He never celebrated his birthday before he moved in with us, but we went out of our way to make him feel loved.

"We should get going, what time is it?"

"Almost ten," I said looking down at my watch.

"Yeah, we most definitely need to leave," Shane had to get to his class at ten thirty, and I always walked him there and made it back in time for my class. I packed all my stuff away and Shane grabbed his walking cane.

He held out his arm like a gentleman at a dance. Giggling, I grabbed his arm and started to strut towards the exit.

"Door," I warned, He tapped around with cane but made it through like he does every day. My car was parked right in the first handicapped spot. I let go of his arm when we were a few feet away.

Shane was a hard person to read and it made people not want to try to be his friend. As soon as I saw him one day sitting alone on some steps reading a book in braille. I knew I had to say something to him, and I'm glad I did. Despite the fact that he avoids talking to people and doesn't ever really insert him into conversations, Shane is one of the most intelligent people I've ever known.

Over the months I've come to know him, he's let me help him more and more. Shane, Ezra and I have really grown closer over the years, like some indescribable bond that made us come together.