Chapter 18 - Realisation

Start from the beginning

"That wasn't too bad." Nate shrugs, swimming his way over. "You okay?"

''Tired.'' She admits and he agrees, leading her into a house.

"You think the colonists flooded this place?" (Y/N) questions once they were back on a solid ground and Nate sighs. "Well, they definitely had the motivation."

"But... You don't think it's them?" She understands his tone, a few steps behind him.

"I just find it odd that all the houses are underwater except for one." He explains and her mouth opens in an 'oh', a dawning realisation. "Avery's."

"Exactly."

Sighing, (Y/N) follows him through the rooms until they come across a fireplace and she ducks under, falling in the hole through the wall. She finds herself climbing out the window and back into water, swimming towards some stairs. 

In another house, Nate jumps back in the flood and floats back. "Stronger than it looks." He explains at her laughing. He then proceeds to climb up and walk across a beam, going down and frowning, both knowing he won't reach.

(Y/N) joins, being the weight to hold it down and he goes over. "You're welcome!" She shouts.

"Thank you. You make a great counterweight." He says, making her frown and he stutters. "Ah, I mean.." She laughs and shakes her head. "It's okay! I'm choosing to take that as a compliment."

"As well you should!" He shouts back, climbing up out of her sight. "I'll find a way up for you." He promises.

With a sigh, (Y/N) gets back in the water to float back to where they started. Just as she's climbing out, he reappears again behind a bookcase and pushes it down. Clambering it up, the couple lift the wardrobe blocking the way and they head down the corridor. 

(Y/N) reaches the double doors, pushing them open and her eyes widen at the sight. 

"Looks like we found the party." Nate mutters.

In front were all the founders, their skeletons around the table like a dinner party. "Looks like we're a bit late." She counters, picking up a goblet. Nate chuckles and she puts the goblet down, eyeing a piece of card with a sigil.

"Hey - Nate." He looks over and she picks it up, blowing off the dust. (Y/N) holds it up, turning it around so he can see the sigil. "It's another sigil."

She throws it back on the table, watching the dust fly up from under it and Nate frowns. Running her finger along the table, (Y/N) scans over the contents before Nate gasps. "It's them. (Y/N), it's the pirate captains that founded Libertalia." He exclaims, pointing to them.

"Holy goddamn shit." She breathes in realisation, taking a step back.

"What the hell happened here?" Nate questions and (Y/N) eyes the goblet and sighs. "Now I'm no forensic expert, but my guess is..." She picks it back up. "...bad drinks?"

"Apparently." He says.

(Y/N) bites her lip in confusion, waving her hand around. "So, what was this? Some kind of... wealthy pirate suicide cult?"

"Yeah, not likely." Nate chuckles.

Spotting a piece of paper from one of their pockets, (Y/N) grabs it and holds it up for Nate to see and he nods for her to read it and she carefully unfolds it.

"On behalf of Lord Avery, I invite you to my manor at sundown tomorrow. The time has come to abandon our animosities... and reunite under the banner of God... and Liberty. Signed Thomas Tew."

Nate takes this in and looks between the pirates before picking up two of the sigil cards. "What do you bet..." He trails off, inspecting them and nods. "Thomas Tew. Henry Avery." He holds them up before throwing them back on the table.