→ letter two

Dearest Claude,

      The day was as clear as the crystal lake water  we used to sit by.  Almost as clear as if it were only yesterday and not eleven months ago. I remember those last words.

“I look forward to this evening"

But of course, you never showed. 

        I remember the precise details of that morning. It was a dull day. Not a ray of sunshine in sight. It was winter so the night was to fall in two hours and cover the town in complete and utter darkness. It's as almost as if the Gods knew. It's as if it was a sign. The clouds were heavy, it looked like it was going to rain. But that didn't stop you. You were always the persistent one. You still went to work.

        Claude, I will forever blame myself for that night, if I didn't let you go then you would still be here. In my arms, sitting with me by the fire and telling me old tales of your father. You would still be here, working on the woodwork in the attic. You would still be here, shouting at me for tidying away your poetry collection away. But you're not here anymore. I was to blame. If only I was selfish that night, I would have saved you. It wouldn't have cost you your life. But most of all, you would still be here. With me.

Your love, Nora.

I see fire.