Nothing Like This - Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

I told them that I’d send letters each week, because I knew that the Elders would not kill me right away. Instead they would keep me held captive for a while, in hopes that I will rethink my decision to keep Lilly from them.

It’ll likely be Aro who comes for me. But it won’t make a difference, they’ll try anything they can to get to Lilly and I know they won’t stop until they get to her.

I come to the edge of the trees and stop, peeking out of the trees to see where I am.

I am near my backyard and I can see several men standing guard outside the backdoor.

I hide my face with the shawl and come out of the trees, watching as the guards tense, pointing towards me.

I start making my way across the yard. A few of the guards come forward and begin walking towards me.

I stop in front of them.

“You are Emily correct?” one of the men asks.

I sigh, “I am Emily, yes. I expect they are waiting for me?”

The man nods, “Come with me Emily,” he and one other man take hold of my arms and bring me into the house.

Entering the house I see that everything is, oddly, exactly how I had left it. Everything is in its place. Aro stands in the living room, smiling at the sight of his men bringing me into the house.

The men bring me to the living room stop in front of Aro.

“So we found her?” Aro asks, smiling.

The guards look at me, turn back to him and say, “No, Aro, she came here on her own,”

Aro seems shocked, “On her own? Why would she do something so foolish?”

“Because I don’t see any point in doing this anymore. I’d rather it be done with. You know already that I will not give Lilly to you so don’t even bother mentioning it!!” I say, struggling with the guards that hold me.

They pull me closer to them and one says, “You’d be better off not struggling with us!”

I glare at him and sigh, “Do what you will Aro. But I will never give you Lilly!”

Aro frowns, looking at the guards, “Take her to the cell. I will come in a while,” He pulls a young man with light brown hair from the living room and says, “Make sure she gets there!”

The man stands behind me, “Let’s go guys!”

They take me out the front door, going quickly down the street.

I resist the urge to fight their hold and keep pace with them.

The street lights are lit, casting long shadows along the sidewalk. Small puddles of water along the curb glisten as the light hits them.

I no longer sense fear even while the men take me to who knows where. I keep the thought in my mind that Lilly will be safe and I don’t need to worry as much anymore.

I hear the young man’s voice speak gently to me, “My name is Evan,”

I smile, I am happy he trusts me enough to tell me his name, but stay quiet, fearing what the other men might do if I speak.

The walk has been long and tedious. We are in a thick wooded area, tall mountains cutting into the blue sky.

Evan hasn’t said anything else during the walk.

As we come closer to the mountains I can see a large, dimly-lit cave at the base of the mountain.

Guards stand at the entrance as well.