The Office Job

• Gewidmet The Stanley Parable

            Stanley could feel the beads of sweat rolling down his back. The anticipation and adrenaline flowing through his tapping legs to his perspirated palms and yet, he was merely sitting on a chair outside an office.

            His eyes darted back and forth between the watercooler and the competitors sitting beside him. Occasionally, he would eavesdrop on the exasperated telemarketers dealing with foreign customers over the phone. It calmed him down, and gave him a chuckle.

           Stanley was a man reaching his twenties, and he did not know what to do with his life. Uncertain, of what he wanted to do, his parents stepped in and suggested he'd take an interview for an office job. So here he was, staring at the clock ticking above the office door.

          tick tick tick tick....

         The door suddenly slammed open, a man strode out. His cashmere suit, woven with an array of brilliant colours was the first thing that stood out. The man then gaped down at Stanley.

         'You're hired,' the man said, 'Give me your your email address, and I'll send you the application to fill, as well when as when you will start.'

         Stanely's jaw dropped in disbelief as he realised that the man was the employer, he soon began to register that he had been staring at the employer for quite sometime.

       ' Thank you so much Sir, words cannot describe how grateful I am but urrr.... I thought we had a scheduled interview?' By the time Stanley finished his sentence, the suited man was already across the hall. Stanley by instinct, followed.

        ' Here, you are now emplyee 427!' The employer grinned and opened the door, Stanley's smile shifted to a doleful countenance. The sight that lied before him was a computer and a bunch of buttons which perplexed him. There wasn't even a window, just a dull, lifeless office room with poor lighting. Was this really going to be his lifetime job?

        This is the story of a man named Stanley