Chapter 1

Chapter One: The Explanation of The World

I have never stepped foot in an educational institution. For one, I would be in a class that would total up to one- me. Secondly, my birth date is vague and not discussed anywhere. Lastly, my being in an educational institution is just a convoluted, deficient idea. I cannot possibly be amongst the uncured as I am a cured. The uncured are the ones with electronic chips in their DNA. I don't possess this, because I was not born in a Sanatorium* Like I said, my birth date is not exactly crystal clear. My theory, that might actually be the explanation, is that I was born in the same year as the Heir. This is something that is not discussed much either.  

In 2468, when the ruler stepped onto the throne, he commenced a series of reformations. The basis of his amendments was the electronic chip. This chip allowed the ruler to set back human thoughts and feelings, as he thought they were “too disruptive for the ongoing society he wanted to build.” Which in all reality meant that he was going to make people stupid in order to rule them as if he was God. Everyone was obligated to get it injected in their system. None escaped it for people began betraying each other in jealousy. Well actually, not everyone got it; only the commoners, naturally. The ruler and the W.M.B along with their families eluded the fate. Which also meant that the heir, Tyr, was chip-free. Although he is not considered a cured, because he doesn't belong to our society.

Over the years, many human emotions were replaced. That is why cured people called the chip “The Evil.” The society lost important, basic human emotions: love and happiness. Instead they began developing another level of hatred and fear. 

Although, one extraordinary day, my great-grandfather and my great-grandmother commenced developing feelings for each other. It was quite remarkable as no one was ever able to surpass the barrier the chip imposed. They, somehow, began to develop thoughts and feelings around the chip. I haven’t read that far in my textbook yet; which is how I educate myself, since I don’t go to an educational institution. They somehow just fell in love, which I always found quite intricate for the chip was meant for people not to think that way. It was tricky at first, but eventually, they developed a way to “cure” people. Ironically, my great-grandfather was a surgeon and he took his skills to another level. He began to look into ways of extracting the chips implanted in people’s DNA. He performed the surgery on his wife first, and from there, a society of cured beings bloomed.  

Slowly, he began to cure many. He did his procedures mostly amongst the Rustics as they were spaced out from each other. Of course, he couldn’t cure everyone. For one, half of his patients found death imediately after. Secondly, it was risky because the ruler’s reign was at its zenith. People feared more than ever to disobey.

After my great grandfather passed, there were none able to perform the surgery. The group stayed undercover for that reason. Every time one of the members was pregnant, they would simply deliver at home. There were many risks to that, one of which is exposure of the cure. Unfortunately, it was the only solution. Sanatariums were out of question, especially because no one knew how to remove the chips. And having a child with the chip meant they would get a chip back into their system. That is because the parent’s children are only truly loyal to the law.

I actually never met any other cured people. My parents have, though, so I trust there are more out there.

I just wished I could interact with them. It gets lonely reading books about this world in a dim-lit basement. More often that I'd like, my mind plays games on me. I start incorporating my own imaginations into this mysterious outside world, making it something it's not. I conceptualized things that haven’t happened in decades, and even centuries. Things like basic human needs; love, leisure, laughter, friendship, family, hope.