Chapter 26. Worthless Thoughts.

Start from the beginning

I was insane.
There was no other description for me under this circumstances, not only was the rain thicker each moving second, but the noises around the house were making the place creepier than ever before; the shades larger and the creaking of the doors were the perfect setting for a heart attack, and I was stupidly moving the remote over the horror genre, trying to pick something for the night.

"What would you like to watch next, Corey?" Yeah, I changed the cat's name and I didn't care, he was my new best friend in the world, and I kinda liked him, because the other cat, Pottie or whatever, was way more attached to Anne, and she was currently curled down in her bedroom, probably waiting for her owner to arrive.

My cat friend just lounged and stared at me boringly.

"I know it's not the smartest choice, but I'm not really in the mood for romance or comedy." Yeah, I didn't liked the idea of somebody's world becoming the perfect place for love, while I was sulking in the fact that not even my best friends were joining me for my birthday. I read the clock on the screen and I was still missing one hour to it. "Now what do you prefer, psycho clowns or exorcism?"

My voice was talking to no one in particular, while picking a piece of chocolate from my shirt cleavage, and quickly deciding on psycho clowns; my stupid logic telling me that demons were rare but scarier, but psycho clowns were rather hard to come across.

Somehow, in the first two minutes into the movie, I thought about how all the horror movies had the same music in the beginning and ending, and even though I was all up for the entertainment, my skin stood up in the awareness of a certain sound not coming from the screen. I sat there dumbly, in the dark room, wondering if I was hallucinating now.

My finger pressed hard on the pause button, my whole body on alert.

There was an intense déjà vu feeling, remembering when Lily and Brett scared the hell out of me during a horror movie.

But they weren't here right now, and the possibilities of them appearing were quite slim.

I began to feel the same edginess of the last few days, and I couldn't get my mind to understand what was happening. I stood up suddenly from the couch, Corey hissing at me and I moved to check what was happening.
The noise was coming from the kitchen, the slim space between the walls showing the back entrance wide open, the door rattling against the wall and the heavy rain soaking the floor around it. There were no lights, so in complete terror I closed my door again, flicking on the lock to keep me safe.

Found myself pacing for a while, wondering what to do now, and looking throughout the room, checking if there was a house line somewhere in there but I'd found none, and even if there was one, there was no useful number in my memory, and I kept walking in circles, one million random questions startling me.
Did I left that door open?
Was I that careless?
The light was off... why was it off?
I was pretty sure I left it on.

For some minutes, I sat and paced some more, until I gained the courage I was missing and peeked into the front windows of the room, hoping to find Harry's Rover out there, and stood staring out at the empty driveway and the closed gate, at a sky that was darker than ever, and the feeling that Harry was always right.

It'd been a completely fucking dumb idea to stay behind on my own.

I kept thinking that this was all my fault. I should have gone with them to London; I should have talked to Harry when he wanted to, and I shouldn't have picked that damn movie. The thoughts were completely worthless and counterproductive, but I couldn't get them out of my head.

Even the damn cat was in danger now, and it was all my fault, for wanting some space for myself.

You idiot! Some doors were opening and closing again, and the fright was rising through my stomach and up to my mouth, wondering about the few options on my head. I moved to the set of windows again, re-checking that indeed, there was no car in there, and then pulling the edge of the window, to my body.

A hard cold breeze blew past me and the cat, carrying with it the smell of wet grass and mud, as I opened the bottom window and peeked my hand to the outside, testing the territory. In my panicked mind, I was thinking about running to the first house I could find, and asking for help, but while I was looking at my cat friend, I was feeling a lot of remorse for leaving him behind.

"Corey," I whispered in a panicky cracked voice. "Is the house by any chance haunted?"

I was talking to myself again, wondering if I was the one responsible for the door opening, but no, everything was closed while I was in the kitchen. I leaned against the window and tried to control my breathing. And then it hit me, the full fear of me not having any control over this.

"There is someone in here, and I'm not fucking looking forward to get myself murdered or robbed, so are you coming with me or staying?"

He was licking his paw, and I made the choice for both of us, opening the window as open as it could go, and hoisting my body up, careful to put my injured hand first.

The rain was falling hard on top of my head and upper body and I tried to squint my eyes in the wet darkness, wondering how to do this, because my hips, I realized with a lot of dread, were too wide to go through the window casing.

"Oh fuck, no." I felt my body wiggling around in terror, probably bruising my ass as I was trying to gain space in the window frame. Seconds ticked by, and fear was making me lose my mind, as I started hearing the noise clattering in the room door, sweat was now beading on my forehead, mixing with the raindrops and clouding my eyes from sight. "Shit, shit, shit, Corey help me."

This was not funny, I was refusing to give up and I pushed myself with my legs, but it was no use, I was stuck in there. I couldn't believe it had come to this, there was a noise outside, and my whole body tensed. My ears waited for the anticipated sound of the door being forced to open, which was followed by footsteps on the wooden floor, slow and deliberate. I held my breath trying to ignore the intense flutters in my stomach, as the quiet was broken by the lone sound of the room.

A split moment of bravery made me look sideways to find a shadow standing there in the light of the paused screen, it was a slight outline, but my fear was making me look away from it, shutting my eyes as if waiting for a heavy hit.

"I swear I don't even know what you're doing half of the time."

There was a jingle of keys, and a deep but silky smooth and way-too-amused voice behind me saying, and I wanted to face slap myself with regret. If my ears were not deceiving, Harry was currently staring at my very humiliated sandwiched ass between the window edges.

***

Double chapter update, just because I'm in love with the whole album and Meet Me in the Hallway exists asdjhfsdybiferkubfsir!