The Aftermath

"You don't have to do this, you know."

The girl sighed for the umpteenth time, failing to contain her growing impatience at her bloodied companion's urge to halt her actions, "Yes, I know, but I want to, so I am. Now, just hold still."

Shuji shifted over on the patch of rubble he was situated on, how the hell did she expect him to sit still when he had just lost to those which he wished to desecrate entirely? It was nerve wracking, and he hated every part of it. Everything has been set up and prepared so meticulously, so why had it all gone so wron... Ow!

"What the hell!" He yelled out.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!"

"Sorry, my ass," he muttered through clenched teeth, slowly releasing the tension in his body as the nervous girl proceeded to loosen the wrappings she had previously tightly wound around his bicep.

He watched as she worked, his sienna eyes trailing down towards her petite form. Her hands were gentle, at least more so than before, albeit shaking, and Shuji could tell from how she scrunched up her nose and eyebrows that this sort of treatment was not something she was used to. Moving upwards, his eyes landed upon her own, an almost sheer (e/c) colour, that reflected her consideration, focus, and stubbornness that got them in this situation in the first place. It's not that Shuji didn't appreciate the hel - okay, no, he didn't - but it's the least he could for those his job entitles him to protect. Her hair was in appalling shape, the bun that it had been previously done up in now falling apart with loose strands dangling in almost every which direction. There was dust and soil covering her clothes and skin, the residue of the neighbour attacks easily noted with the amount of disarray her attire was in. Needless to say, she was a mess.

And yet, the black haired boy sitting beside her couldn't help but chuckle.

Started, her eyes widened and she froze in her tracks.

"Wha-aat's so funny?"

Stifling his laughter, he glanced over at her surprised expression, "You're a mess."

"That's not funny! That's just uncalled for!" The girl pouted, crossing her arms across her chest and turning her head away from him. 

"Oh, come on, I didn't mean it like that. I meant it in a good way."

That only seemed to aggravate her even more.

"How could that possibly be meant in a good way!?"

"It just is."

"That's not an answer," she stood, her arms still crossed and the pout still firmly planted on her face, "that's just you avoiding the question. Geez, I try to help you and this is the thanks I get."

Sighing, Shuji stood to match her, his height casting a shadow down upon her form. Glancing towards her now, she was still mumbling to herself about how ungrateful he was, her arms flailing about around her; an act that put a smile back on to his face. It was weird, to say the least, he hadn't so much as grinned in what seemed like years, and yet, with this girl whom he had never come across until this point, now it felt like he knew nothing but.

"You should hear yourself, you sound like some yappy dog who hasn't been fed," he noted, quite bluntly.

"You should hear yourself! If this is your way of thanking people who try to do nice things for you, then, I'm sorry, but I don't want anything to do with it."

Quite fed up with his irritable antics, the girl turned abruptly on her heel to leave, an action of which Shuji immediately put to a stop.

"What now?" She glared back at him over her shoulder, "Two insults not good enough for you and you'd like to get in some more?"

His eyes travelled down the hand that was holding onto her wrist, since when had he been this impulsive?

"Well, are you going to say something because I'd rather not stand here all da..."

"I quite like dogs."

-
-

Hey everyone! It's Kyo here, again. So, thanks again for reading my story, it took me a long while to finish this one, I know, but I'm sort of glad at how this one turned out (at least the first part, the second I kind of lost inspiration / motivation and just sort of rushed it, so sorry if it's not very good). On the other hand, I've started some more stories and such, so you can expect those to be coming out when work starts settling down and my summer vacay stops being super nice and I don't have a reason to go outside :P

If you have questions, comments, or concerns, you always welcome to leave them down below! I always love to hear what you have to say, whether it be good or bad, and I look forward to seeing what you think! Anyways, thanks again for taking the time to read through this half-rushed one-shot, and I hope you liked it! :)