Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

Arabella studies her. She is certainly a beauty if a little young. Dark brown tresses are braided in a beautiful intricate pattern on her head but some strands have fallen down framing her heart shaped face. She also stands a head shorter than Arabella herself. She blinks as Arisxandre clears her throat delicately. "Lady Arisxandre is such a dreadfully long, stuffy name. I would be honoured if you would refer to me as Ari, Lady Ari if you prefer titles." Even her voice is sweet and holds a hint of intrigue. No wonder Hunter found her interesting, Arabella thinks.

"I would be delighted Lady Ari, you may refer to me as Lady Arabella if you wish for the time being." Her reply is polite but it shows exactly where Ari stands. Ari nods and lets her gaze stray over the dancers before them. "So you are from the Tikva family. I heard one of your sisters was to marry Lord Usani." Ari colour slightly, the colour showing up easily on her porcelain skin.

"That would be I but I am afraid to say your sources are behind on their gossip. The wedding was called off for a much worthier opponent." Arabella's nose creases again. Ari says it so airily that it is difficult to tell whether she is bothered or relieved by the events that had already taken place. Arabella's gaze drops to the dance card on Ari's wrist.

"Oh?" Ari nods, her eyes still following the dancers. "I must say you seemed to be enjoying your freedom on the dance floor." Arabella says with casual disinterest. It does not fool Ari however who simply smiles. "Are you searching for a husband?" Ari giggles and brings up her fan to hide her mouth as a few glance over.

"Not I. I am rather happy with my freedom as you so expertly pointed out. My mother on the other hand is franticly searching. She was rather disappointed when Lord Usani and I did not marry. She struggles, also, to understand how every man she points in my direction does not propose despite her best efforts to dress me up like a doll and sing my praises." Ari casts a glance to her side at Arabella who despite herself is now smiling.

"You speak as if you have a fair idea yourself."

Ari quickly looks at those closest to them and drops her voice low, "I have a dreadful habit of stepping on their feet and squealing at the most awkward of times. Of course there are still insistent suitors and those require dodging. I have a great many friends who help me out in those situations." Arabella laughs and has to quieten the noise as a few glance over. She fans her face and inclines her head towards those ones. They turn away knowing they have been caught out.

"I fear I must ask which category did the young gentleman you were just dancing with fall into." Ari softly smiles and searches for Hunter with her eyes. She finds him stood with his brother silently listening to their chatter. He must sense her gaze as he glances over and does a theatrical yawn. Ari shakes her head at him but her lips are tweaked up in amusement. Arabella feels something akin to envy in her gut.

"He falls into a category all of his own. I have never before met anyone like him and I doubt I ever will again." She simply replies. She looks to Arabella. "I have not noticed his highness's presence as of yet. Will he be attending?" Her question is innocent but it reminds Arabella of where her attentions should lie.

"I am sure he will be present soon. He has had an extremely busy day." Her statement comes across as a reprimand and Ari's produces a small grimace, hiding it artfully with her fan. Arabella struggles with whether she should feel bad or whether she is satisfied by putting Ari in her place.

"Of course, I imagine no day is unoccupied by meetings and decisions. If you would not mind, I must excuse myself. My brothers have just arrived and I simply must say hello." Ari curtseys and does not rise until Arabella nods her head.

She then leaves, weaving through the people around the edge of the ballroom to get to her brothers. Despite propriety she leaps into her brother's outstretched arms and hugs him tight. His face creases up as he laughs and pats her head. She pulls away, her mouth open to reprimand him as she delicately checks that he has not messed up her hair. The other brother laughs and pushes him out of the way and gives his sister a much more socially acceptable embrace.

Arabella pulls her gaze away from them and scans the dancers. She is unaware until the last moment that someone has joined her by the refreshment table. "Lady Arabella." He speaks to gain her attention. For one brief moment she is filled with happiness until she takes in more details. There are not many differences between them but Orion does speak slightly differently to his brother and his face holds more stories. Her smile lightens.

"Mr North." She acknowledges him, her voice a little cold.

"A woman such as you should not be standing on the edge of the entertainment. I would be honoured if you would accept my invitation to be my partner in the next dance." She does not answer straight away but discreetly seeks Ari out. Hunter has arrived before her and she is quickly taking his offered hand.

"I would be delighted." She replies to Orion but his attention also seems to have wandered. She clears her throat delicately and he reasserts his attention to her. He offers his arm and she rests her hand just above the crook of his elbow. When the music for the next waltz begins both Orion and Hunter lead their partner onto the floor and take their positions. This time she refuses to look for Hunter. Orion may just be observant enough to see where her true focus goes. He would not believe she was simply watching Lady Arisxandre. What purpose would she have now since they have been introduced?

They glide across the floor and she finds he is a remarkably competent dancer. She finds herself enjoying it now that she is forcing herself to focus on the dance. Her smile grows. 

Ari is back! *Insert evil laugh here* You have no idea how much I have been wanting and waiting to bring her back! Looks like this may just be the start of jealousy and competition.