• Chapter 3 || It's Just Me •

Start from the beginning

    His mother's eyes wavered slightly as they drew together, and she bobbed her head up and down in affirmation. "I pledged my youth to Milady for her guardianship of Lujein."

    "Good." Kane pressed his hands together, releasing a hushed breath of relief. It was easier to draw her memories to the surface when he had a foundation to build from. Even something as simple as a memory of her work was a godsend. "The other priestesses adored you and admired you for your kind heart and dedicated service. None of them could ever compare, they would say."

    "I think I remember... at least a bit," she spoke, closing her eyes to solidify her recollection. Once they flicked open again, she continued, "Looking at the shrine was like looking up at the stars. It was so beautiful."

    "You used to take me there as a boy. We'd sit there in front of the shrine for hours— me sitting on your lap, the both of us admiring the wavering orange flames of the candles—"

    "You would sit there talking to the goddess' statue as if she was an old friend," she interrupted suddenly, surprising both Kane and herself.

    His eyes widened, a sliver of hope lighting them up as he gazed at her. "Mom, do you—?"

    "I— Oh, my light, I'm so sorry!" She leapt up, flinging her arms around Kane and hugging him tightly. "It took me so long... The memories were hidden so deep."

    Kane choked back a disgruntled cry, his eyes growing warm and hazy, but he managed to blink back his happy tears. After a moment, he wrapped his arms around his mother's back squeezing her tightly and burying his face in her shoulder. "I need advice, Mom," he told her, his words muffled against the fabric of her shirt.

    She swept a thumb up over his cheek, catching a renegade tear against her finger. "You can always ask me anything, Kane, and I will do whatever I can to help."

    "Even if you don't believe what I'm saying to be true?"

    "Even then," she insisted, "If you trust in your words, so will I." She squeezed his hand in hers, urging him on with a loving smile.

    Kane paused, letting out a puff of air through his nose. He could do this... even if his mother was skeptical, she would treat the situation fairly. He knew that. "I met the moon goddess today," he said finally, much to on edge to hold her gaze after those words left his lips. He couldn't take them back now.

    "Met?" His mother's tone jumped up a few octaves, but she quickly composed herself. "Ah, I see. Go on..."

    "She asked for my help protecting someone," he paused a moment before going on, "Something happened to the moonstones, corrupting their power. This person— someone very important to her— could in in danger from the person who did this. Since I don't have a moonstone, she said I would make an ideal protector, but I don't know if I'm cut out to watch over someone. I'm not strong enough to—"

    "Kane," his mother cut him off sharply, shaking her head in disagreement. "You are so much stronger than you realize, both mentally and physically. You have endured more in eighteen years than most have in their entire lifetimes. You should be honored that the goddess chose you, regardless of whether you accept the task. She saw untapped potential in you— the opportunity to be even more than you already are."

    "Would you?" Kane asked, "Accept, I mean. Would you accept her request?"

    "It isn't up to me, darling. You need to make this decision on your own."

    His jaw set rigidly, and he scowled lightly. "I don't know what the right answer is though..."

    "Follow your heart," his mom suggested, took his hand in hers, and pressed it to his chest, right over his beating heart. "If you listen to it, you will never be steered wrong. Your beliefs are intertwined with those feelings, and what you believe will always be what's 'right' to you."

    "You make it sound so simple..."

    She laughed, ruffling his hair affectionately with a beaming grin. "Maybe it is that simple."

    "Thank you..." Kane leaned back slightly, shifting to the side to stand up again. "Whatever I do, Mom, I hope I make you proud."

    "I already am proud of you, and nothing will change that."

    Kane gave her a bright smile over his shoulder. "Even if I can't visit for a while, you'll understand?"

    "Of course," she promised, wriggling her fingers at him in a goodbye. "Be safe, my light."

    Kane rested his fingers against the door handle the called back to her, "As safe as I can be. Rest well." Turning the knob, he left the room and closed the door softly behind him. After departing from the care facility, Kane walked off in the direction of his home. With any luck, Sirius would be there waiting for him— probably lounging on his couch like the mooch he was. If not, Kane would have to go out in search of his friend, and when Sirius went out wandering, finding him was a trying task in and of itself. Maybe the Peculiarity could shed some light on his situation? After all, it was fairly common for stars such as Sirius to have met a god or goddess. Resolved to discuss his predicament with his friend, Kane quickened his pace. The sooner he could come to a final decision, the sooner he could lift this celestial pain from his shoulders.