chapter one

[name] first questioned her 'illness' -- if you could call it that -- in mid-March, when it was warm enough for t-shirts but still too cold for short sleeves without a pullover.

The math teacher, a young woman with skin too pale and eyes too dynamic, called on Iwaizumi, who rose from his seat and walked towards the blackboard. He accepted the piece of chalk and began solving the problem on the board.

[name] watched Iwaizumi write the solution on the blackboard, and she copied down the steps in her notebook, attentive eyes glancing up every now and then to look at the question. Suddenly, she felt a burning sensation in her stomach. It climbed upwards until it reached her throat.[name] dropped her pencil and doubled over, breathing deeply. Her hands balled into fists as she coughed, her chest tightening as her lungs tried to forcibly expel whatever was lodged in her throat.

"Are you alright?"

When she looked up, Iwaizumi was already done and back in his seat, glancing at [name] in question along with the rest of the class. Her teacher peered at [name] with worry in her eyes and concern in her voice.

"[name]?"

"Just fine," [name] managed, picking up her pencil again. "I'm sorry for interrupting."

The teacher resumed her lesson with hesitance, but [name] couldn't concentrate.

Especially not when a small, pale blue petal, peeked at her from the pages of her notebook.