MISTLETOE AND WINE

Start from the beginning

"Oh, hell no!" Maine says with conviction. "Less than a year na lang, ngayon pa ba ako susuko? And besides, at least we'll be free of each other na di ba?"

"Mag overtime ka ba ngayon?" Jen asks.

"Medyo, bakit mo natanong?" She looks at her "Kung may importante kang lakad, okay lang na huwag mo akong hintayin."

Jen looks at her and says "Di ka pwede magovertime ngayon" Maine looks at her like she's losing her mind. "Mamayang gabi ang party para sa birthday ng asawa mo"

"Oh....shoot."

****

Maine tries to clean up well for the night like what her parents constantly remind her of every minute of that day like she's going to skip and be a bad wife on her "husband's" birthday party. Seriously? Don't they know me? This may be a farce but she knows I'm not an ass.

Someone knocks on her door and says "You ready?"

Maine looks towards the sound of the voice and sees RJ looking dapper in a tuxedo, smirking at her. In fairness, I haven't noticed that he sort of is goodlooking.

"So, are you ready to attend your husband's last birthday that we'll celebrate as a married couple?"

"Can't wait.." she says as she walks past him, deliberately letting him peek that her gown's back is too low for the night. Drool, bastard.

The night was hectic like his former birthday parties. Both their families were talking with investors and she is left as always by the buffet after exhausting her energy with pretending to play the part of the happy couple, a feat that would make her lose her mind. But she continues to chant, that it will be less than a year and she's out.

She looks at her "husband" who was whispering at who the hell is that girl? Lucia, the model? Maine grabs a bite and is even surprised that she cares who he's talking to Maybe I'm used to pretending we are married that it jumbles my reality. Ghad, I need a drink.

"Wine?"

She looks and sees Marco offering her wine. Maine accepts it and smiles back at him. She drinks everything in one gulp and says "Thanks"

"Dahan dahan lang, baka malasing ka. Well, pwede naman so that I can take you back to your room." He winks at her.

She brushes him off and says "In case you haven't noticed, I'm married." She walks away and raises her hand, her back to him "Thanks for the wine, Marco."

The fresh air did Maine good.
She wasn't a drinker and pathetic as it may seem but her head was really spinning from the wine earlier.

"Okay ka lang?"

She turns and sees RJ looking at her, worried; an emotion that she's not used to especially when it comes from him. She's not sure if its the wine but she could see genuine concern in his face that makes her want to laugh.

RJ takes off his jacket and wraps it around Maine "Tara, alis na tayo. May na-book akong room sa hotel na to just in case we get out from this party, late."

She looks at him "Ano ka ba birthday mo to, akin na yung susi at hintayin na lang kita dun."

"Are you drunk?"

"Konti lang naman naibigay sakin ni Marco kaya....."

"Ah, nakikipagharutan ka kay Marco."

"Bakit, this isn't a legit marriage ah. On paper lang tayo and besides, ikaw nga eh...may bulong bulong ka pa kay Lucia." She tries to walk but her knees are wobbly that she almost fell if not for RJ catching her.

"Whatever, let's retire for the night. I don't care about the party, its no fun anymore."

****

"May bago sayo these past few weeks, Maine. You seem to glow." Jen says and Maine raises her brow at her. "Is it because of your husband's lunch dates na paandar?"

Maine just looks at her and smiles. Sure after the party, her husband has been attentive and kind of sweet which was weird. "Ang weird nyan eh hindi ko alam kung ano nangyari pero....basta!" She massages her temple.

"Gusto mo ba bigay ko na yung gamot mo?"

She looks at Jen and says "Ok----" then she says "Holy crap...ano date ngayon?"

"December."

"No, the day."

"22nd"

"Shit." She looks at Jen. "I need a favor."

Hours later, Jen and Maine could not believe their eyes. "I can't believe this."

Jen looks at her visibly surprised and says "I can't believe you had sex." Maine looks at her and she adds "You should tell him"

****

"We need to talk" Maine says to him the moment she arrives home as she barges into his office.

"Maine...if its about the marriage contract, I decided..."

"I'm pregnant."

He looks at her, surprised. "W-what?"

"I know.....I know okay. We have almost months before our marriage expires. I'll raise the child alone, you see its accepted in this modern world for single moms like me and besides I won't hold your right as the child's father."

RJ stands and says "How did that happen?"

"Well we did it....right?"

"I know....I was there, remember? What I want to say is...what the hell do you mean you'll raise the child alone in a broken marriage?"

"W-what? Don't feel too obligated, RJ. Hindi bagay sayo"

"Gusto ko lang sabihin sa'yo Maine na ikaw ang may gusto na maghiwalay tayo in less than a year. If I remember correctly, ikaw yung parating nagreremind sakin of the deadline."

Maine looks at him disbelieving. "RJ."

"I stopped counting by the middle of our third year. And besides, I'm used to your face however stuffy and annoying it may be. So are you willing to build a family with me?"

Maine looks at RJ wanting to joke that he may be in love with her, but her words get caught in her throat as she sees him looking at her with warmth. She walks towards him and hugs him. Maybe she'll find the time to tease him about it someday or maybe he might admit his feelings but she decided that she won't do it today.
Not today.

"Yes. I'm willing to start again with you"

And maybe....just maybe this is now the real start of the rest of their lives.

T H E    E N D