Chapter 14

"Louis...I can't." I mumbled as he looked down at me sadly.

"Then I guess I'm done here." Louis said as he walked out of the pub. I just stood there and thought about what I was going to do next. I just rejected the one man who had always been there for me for the man that was always leaving me. I exited the pub and started walking in a random direction as thoughts consumed me. I remember when our little family had been a happy one and our days were filled with laughter. It seems like a million years ago since I had last smiled and then I thought of those that I called family.

"Claudia." Her name felt so bittersweet as it slipped off of my tongue and echoed back at me. She had done so many terrible things but does that mean she deserved her fate? Claudia just wanted to be a grown woman and I can't say that I blame her for envying me. It feels wrong to miss her but she was an important part of our flawed family. The only time I saw Lestat truly happy was when Claudia was a young girl. Lestat loved to spoil her by buying her the fanciest clothes and the nicest toys. Only now does the hole in my still heart really start to dawn on me. I collapse in some random alleyway as I let the loss of Claudia wash over me. It feels good to finally feel something besides numb.

"What has happened to me?" I asked myself as I passed a puddle of water. I could clearly see my reflection and I looked normal. Only the pain in my eyes could give away what I was truly feeling. None of this was fair. I just want my family to be whole again but I know that can never happen again. Louis is in love with me. Claudia is dead. Lestat abandoned me. I sunk down into the puddle beside me and looked up into the sky.

"Maybe if I stare up into the sky long enough my family will be put back together." I murmured up at the stars. As I looked up into the sky I could almost hear Claudia and Louis laughing. I could see Louis taking me shopping for dresses. I could see Lestat and it was almost as if I could feel his lips upon mine. I closed my eyes and relished in the days that were no more. It almost felt like there was no reason to keep going. There is no place for me and I've managed to push away everyone that I've ever loved.

"Where are you Lestat?" I asked pushing myself off of the ground and wringing the water out of my skirts. I started walking until a bunch of shouts caught my attention. I slowly walked towards the source of the sound and that's when I realized what was going on...