Chapter 19: A Soothing Subaru (Subaru, All)

Start from the beginning

"T-tch, you're so bossy," he grumbled, pressing me back on my side and putting his hand more firmly on my stomach. "I... I was just thinking that y-you smell very good."

"Thanks," I murmured, watching warily out of the corners of my eyes. "You did very well resisting my blood earlier this morning."

"I wasn't expecting Reiji to be so influenced."

"Yeah, you two were putting up a good fight."

"And you slept through it like a rock. Are you deaf?"

"No, just a heavy sleeper."

"And Laito... he..."

"Don't think about it," I advised, pressing my back into him and shivering involuntarily.

"You didn't like it?"

"Since I wasn't consenting... I feel sort of violated..."

"You... y-you made noises..."

"Eh?"

"E-er... nevermind."

It was my turn to grow red in the face. Very tenderly, I felt Subaru pull at my shoulder as if I was china and situate me on my back. His red eyes roved over my face. There were still traces of pink in his cheeks, so mine were the redder of the two of us. At this fact, my hands shot up to my face to cover it.

"Tch, quit it. I already know you're blushing."

"So were you!"

"Shut up."

With that, he leaned in with open lips that pressed against mine. He was warm, soft – so... Subaru. When he drew away his face was an even deeper rose red.

"I liked that," I whispered then yawned widely.

"You need sleep," he muttered.

The hand that crooked beneath my neck wrapped up and over my eyes while his other one continued clockwise circles over my belly. The rhythm soothed me into a sleep, but it certainly was uneasy. Pain pulsed in different parts of my body like insatiable joint aches that made me twitch every once in a while. Each time I did, I regained consciousness. Each time Subaru would kiss me back into a stupor then rub until I dozed away again.

~

"She's running a fever."

The voice was stern, butler-like.

"Reiji," I murmured, feeling the clammy sweat beads course off of my forehead as I began to stir.

"That's not a normal womanly reaction to... er... this... is it?" Subaru inserted. He was still pressed close to me, his fingers still circling my naval.

"This is so boring," the voice of Kanato piped up from somewhere nearby. "Why can't she just be better already?"

"This is extremely troublesome..." Reiji agreed.

"Her scent is growing pungent again," Laito inserted and I could feel his breath close to my legs. "Oh... that's more than pungent..."

Subaru jerked from his position beside me and a moment later the sickening smack of knuckle against jaw was heard.

I groaned, sitting up as soon as the sounds of impending danger registered to my ears. Unfortunately, Subaru was already locked in a tussle with Laito upon the floor. Snarls and growls filled the air like that of two wolves fighting for dominance.

Pain like a blade elicited a screech from my lungs and I instinctively writhed away from the source. Teeth as sharp as knives were digging deeply into my wrist and as I turned, I found Kanato viciously gnawing at my flesh, his lilac eyes alight with fire.