LIVIN' JUST ENOUGH: SistaGirlz, Book # 1 ~ Rachael's Story Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Aaron," I said as I stepped into the house. "It's not like you're taking my virginity. You did that on my 16th birthday, remember? And why are you whispering? My mama ain't home yet."

Just then, I smelled the stench of fresh cigarette smoke in the air. Before I could react, I heard a voice in the darkness.

"What in the hell is he doing here?" she said.

"MAMA!" I spun around to see my mother's silhouette sitting on the couch. "What are you doing here?" I asked in shock from her unexpected presence.

"I live here, remember?" she said as she turned on a table lamp. "But what I wanna know is why in the hell yo' fast ass is out so late and what the fuck is this muthafucka doing in my house?!"

"Um, um..." I stammered before Aaron came to my rescue.

"Mrs. Wallace, we came to get a few of Rachael's things," he said calmly.

What the fuck did you say that for?!

"To get her things?" Mama said before putting out her cigarette and stumbling over to us. "And where in the hell do you think you're going, Rachael Lee Wallace?"

"Mama, I was gonna tell you later," I began.

"Tell me what, Rachael?" Mama was right in my face and all I could smell was her vodka soaked tobacco breath. "That this punk ass nigga done got you pregnant? That he's still selling drugs? What the fuck you gon' tell me Rachael that's gon' make me let you leave my house?!"

"I love your daughter, Mrs. Wallace," Aaron said as he stepped between my mother and me.

"You don't love her! You love the pussy she's givin' up to you!" Mama spat back.

"MAMA!" I shrieked.

"Rachael, gon' upstairs and get all of your stuff. I'll stay here and talk with your mom," Aaron coaxed in a firm yet calm voice. How he could be calm with my mother acting like that was beyond me!

Minutes later, I came downstairs to find my mother in the kitchen drinking a cup of coffee, smoking another cigarette, and sitting with Aaron. They were actually talking! I was almost afraid to ask what happened while I was upstairs but since there was no bloodshed, I felt safe enough to see what the conversation was about.

"Mama?" I asked hesitantly as I looked at Aaron who only smiled back at me.

"Hey Ray," Mama grinned. "Come on and have a seat. I've been talking with your young man and it turns out that I've been wrong about him all this time."

Slowly sitting down across from Aaron, I asked my mother, "What do you mean?"

"Ron explained to me about his mom and him doing odd jobs to help her out with the bills." Patting Aaron's hand, my mother continued. "It's a shame about what happened to Nessa but I'm glad my Rachael was there for you."

"Me, too, Mrs. Wallace," said Aaron as he looked at me. "Baby Girl, you all packed up?"

"Yeah, but..." Looking at my mother, I said, "Is it OK, Mama?"

"Rachael, you're a very responsible young woman and you don't need me hovering over you anymore. If you wanna move in with Ron, go right ahead. You didn't have to try to sneak out but I understand."

You could have knocked me over with a feather! I couldn't believe my mother gave me permission to leave... with Aaron! Before she changed her mind, I kissed her on the cheek and started to take my things out to Aaron's car.

"I'll be out in a minute, Baby," Aaron said as he stood in my mother's doorway. As I packed my clothes into the backseat, Aaron and my mother exchanged a few words then he came to take us back to the apartment.