“Hey Draco.” I said, he just looked at me and then started to turn away, “Draco! I said something to you. Why are you ignoring me?” I yelled, turning a few heads from the people in the nearby compartments. He turned around to look me in the eye.

         “Just forget it Hermione. I’m not allowed to be your friend.” He said quietly before turning away once again and left me standing there alone. I forgot all about the bathroom, and ran back to Ginny quick. She was reading one of the Gilderoy Lockhart books she had gotten from Harry. I closed the door behind me, and sat down, panting, across from Ginny. She looked questioningly up at me.

         “Ginny, can you keep a secret?” I asked, she put her book down and nodded eagerly, I proceeded to take a deep breath before asking my question. “I was friends with Draco Malfoy last year. But now he’s suddenly ignoring me. Why would he do that?” Ginny seemed to think about this for a long time.

         “Does he know you’re muggleborn?” she asked at last, I thought back. I had never told him, but that was because I thought he already knew it. Maybe he didn’t know it last year, but became aware of it over the summer. I shook my head slowly. Ginny sighed, “Well, then that’s it. The Malfoys are pure blooded and they look down on people who aren’t.” she explained.

         “So he doesn’t want to talk to me anymore because I’m muggleborn?” I asked, it sounded ridiculous to me. Why would he avoid me because of my blood status?

         “I guess so. It’s no loss though. I have heard my dad talk about the Malfoys. They aren’t a good family, they used to follow…” Ginny gulped before continuing, “You Know Who.” She said with a shaking voice and then cleared her throat, “Father still thinks their bad. It’s probably a good thing that he avoids you. You shouldn’t be friends with him.” I sighed and nodded in agreement; it was probably for the best.

I spent the next weeks avoiding Draco as much as possible, even though he made it hard for me. He tried getting me to speak with him several times. Pulling me into empty classrooms when no one was looking was a method he used quite often. But I never said a word to him. One day I was walking with Ron, Harry and the Gryffindor Quidditch team to practice because I had nothing better to do. I had a book with me under my arm so I had something to do while Ron would be marvelling over the guys flying on their brooms. But on our way to the field the Slytherin Quidditch team cut us off. They had a new seeker… Draco. He looked straight at me for just a split-second before snickering evilly at Wood.

         “Aren’t they great?” Draco said gesturing towards the new Nimbus 2001 brooms he and his teammates had in their hands, “Maybe the Gryffindor team can collect enough money to get new brooms too. I’m sure you can sell your Cleansweep 5 to a museum for a reasonable price.” He laughed and his team laughed with him. For the first time since my first year I talked to Draco.

         “At least none of the Gryffindor players had to buy themselves on the team!” I sputtered, angry. He couldn’t do this, where was the sweet Draco I had met last year? “They are on the team because they have talent!” I said. Draco had looked at me surprised at first, probably because I hadn’t talked to him for months, but also because of my weird, angry outburst. Then his face changed into an angry scowl.

         “No one asked for your opinion, you filthy, little mudblood!” he sneered, and at that comment the whole Gryffindor team lost control and tried attacking Malfoy. I could feel the tears in my eyes, and my heart had dropped. He was definitely no friend of mine anymore! I was pulled out of my trance as Ron started puking up slugs. As Harry and I pulled him towards Hagrids’ I could hear Draco and the other Slytherins laugh behind me.