"I'm really digging this whole improbability thing," Lilia whispered, not trusting her voice at a higher volume. She sensed rather than saw Connor smile.

"Same here," he murmured in a husky, low voice that just made her want to kiss him again.

Lilia glanced over his shoulder at the bed. "You know, I'm kinda glad there's only one bed tonight," she murmured.

Connor kissed her once more, a lingering, gentle one. "Again, same here."

That night, nobody shifted in their sleep. They started out right where they wanted to be.

*

When Lilia awoke, she was sure it had all been a dream. But, as she instinctively burrowed closer to Connor's chest, turning her face completely into his shirt, she remembered that it was, in fact reality.

Oh, dear God, she thought. I actually said that. I actually did that.

And I don't regret it at all.

Lilia knew she should have. After all, they were just setting themselves up to get hurt even more. But they were young and dumb and under the influence of a lot of improbability.

Who knew? Maybe being in this territory would even give them the solution to Lilia's dilemma, her choice between Earth and Dwirinel. She could only hope.

She shifted slightly, waking Connor. "Sorry," she whispered as his bright blue eyes opened sleepily and found hers.

"Oh, thank the gods," he murmured.

"What?"

"It wasn't a dream."

Lilia laughed. "I was worried, too."

They lay in silence for a few more seconds before Lilia's stomach growled loudly. Connor chuckled.

"Breakfast time?" he asked, getting out of bed. The sudden cold air against Lilia's front was unwelcome, and she frowned, standing as well.

"Yeah, sure, but we don't have any food, remember?"

"And do you also remember the loophole we discovered last night?" Connor moved to the entrance of the cave, which now showed a beautiful view of the forest lit in rosy early morning light, and shouted, "It is unlikely that a full breakfast will be awaiting us!"

He left the cave and, a few seconds later, came back with two steaming plates.

"I can't decide if the Wizard will be amused by us for figuring this out or hate us more," Lilia mused as she accepted one of the plates and sat on the couch. It had sausages and bacon on it, a welcome break from their regular boring meal of bread and cheese.

"I'd be amused by us," Connor replied, joining her.

"That's because you're one of us."

"Touche." Connor grinned and they both dug into their food. For the next few minutes, they were silent as they devoured the food like ravenous wolves. Lilia tried to remember when she had last eaten. She took the mere effort as a bad sign.

Finally, Lilia set her plate down on the floor of the cave and sighed contentedly, leaning back. "That was long overdue."

"Is that the kind of breakfast you have back on Earth?"

"Sort of. I could have this every morning, if that's what I wanted." Lilia looked at him long and hard. "I really wish you could come back with me and see everything."

Connor sighed. "Me, too. But I'm afraid I wouldn't fit in very well."

"No, you're right. I don't think you would." Lilia smiled a little ruefully, thinking of her school.