An Encounter with the Zora

Start from the beginning

The inhabitants of the Domain were instructed not to bother the King at the moment. He was busy discussing pressing matters regarding what the next step would be. Obviously now that the biggest threat was defeated and the amount of monsters went down drastically this meant the Zora could expand the way they wanted to over a century ago. Perhaps going to Lurelin Village would be the best to start off? Maybe they could meet up with Gerudo representatives and have some sort of man-made lake created near the town so more Zora women and merchants could make the trip over without dying? Maybe some kind of heat resistant garb specially made for Zora's could be created so they could expand their trade routes with the Goron? These questions were hurdled at poor Prince Sidon as he stood helplessly in the middle of the his people. He tried his best to answer one question but every time he did, another would ask something else and then another and another. He was left in an endless cycle of attempting to answer one question before getting cut off.

"Your Highness!" Sidon looked up momentarily to glance at the guard who had called him. The Zora guard pointed to an approaching figure. Sidon squinted, seeing a blur of blue and black before making out the small Hylian Champion.

"Pardon me," Sidon slowly walked out of the crowd, "but we seem to have a very important guest. Now, don't worry! All your questions will be answered! I suggest you all write them down and we will have an official meeting on the Zora's future!" As Sidon turned, another citizen spoke.

"But how soon in the near future, sir?"

"Very soon, now please excuse me."

"But wait! Wouldn't it be easier to discuss this now? We're all here and we have our questions ready! We would just like some answers!" The Zora prince sighed and looked over at the approaching Hylian. He has approximately thirty seconds to get his subjects to disperse before Link made it past the guards and officially into the Zora Domain.

"It would be easier but I'm afraid I do not have all the answers. I'd have to discuss certain things with the elders and I'm sure you'd feel more confident in hearing about our near future from the King. Sadly he is unavailable at the moment so this will have to wait another day. Now, excuse me." This response seemed to satisfy the group of Zora surrounding him. They soon dispersed and gave Sidon one second (more or less) to compose himself before Link stopped in front of him.

The Hylian Champion stood a few feet in front of Sidon. He tilted his head up slightly and stared up at the handsome Zora. Sidon was smiling down at him and a moment later he was kneeling so he could be eye level with Link. Link balled his hands into fists as he resisted to urge to tear up. Not here, not now.

"Link! My dearest friend!" Sidon threw his arms around the other and embraced him. He was a bit damp from an earlier swim but at least he didn't smell too much like fish. "I'm so very proud of you! You've done it! Thanks to you and the princess we are all free from Ganon's clutches! I knew you could do it!" Link couldn't help but smile just a bit at that. "Now, where is Zelda? I would've assumed she'd accompany you to the Domain. Is she perhaps in waiting at the horse stable nearby or a village?" The smile from earlier faded and Link shook his head. "Oh, then where is she?" He debated telling Sidon now but he shook his head again before responding in sign language.

"I need to talk to the King. It's urgent." Sidon blinked in confusion.

"The King?" He stood back up, towering over Link once more. "But why? Not that you can't. Well technically you can't, he is busy, but I'm sure he would love to see you."

"Good," Link walked past Sidon and up the stairs to the throne room, "it's urgent."

"Wait!" Sidon jogged after his friend, still very very confused. "I don't understand, why exactly do you need to see my father? Is something wrong? Did someone get hurt?" Link bit his lip and waved his hand, trying to dismiss the question. However Sidon persisted. "Was...was he not defeated? Has he been unleashed onto our world?" Link shook his head rapidly and quickened his pace. "Then what? What is important? Please tell me, you're starting to worry me." Link waved his hand again, trying to dismiss the issue once more. "But Link--"

"Ah, the Hylian Champion!" The Zora King's voice boomed throughout the throne room as Link scurried forward and bowed his head in respect. "I'm so very glad you are here, and you seem to be nearly unharmed. What an amazing outcome!" The King smiled down at Link who kept a straight, emotionless face. "I am so very very happy to see you unharmed again. You are truly a huge member of the Zora Domain and my family and it would've impacted us all if something were to cause you harm." Link nodded stiffly.

"Now then," the King reclined in his throne and rested his chin on his palm, "what has brought you to our humble abode? Is it perhaps the Princess? It's been a long time since I've seen her, where is she?" Link reached into his pocket and pulled out the letter with King Dorephan's name on it. His hands shook as he slowly passed the letterover to the Zora King's larger hands. Sidon noticed how vulnerable Link seemed at the moment and found it quite odd. Link was never like this, at least not that he remembered him being like this.

The King squinted as he read, old age had taken its toll on his eyesight. However, even if the words did seem to blend together at times or even if they seemed a bit blurry he read it all. Every last word. Every detailed instruction Impa had given him. Now, King Dorepha respected Impa. She was a very wise woman who had advised the King of Hyrule himself on what course of action to take on certain things. She was one of the few elders that hadn't gone completely mad due to the Calamity and was adored by every race in Hyrule. However at the moment he seemed to be doubting his faith in her.

"Everyone except Link, please exit the room immediately." The Zora guards nodded and almost immediately left the throne room. Sidon was more...stubborn.

"Father, may I ask what this is all about? What is in that note?"

"Sidon, one day you will be King and you will have to face many hardships and difficulties. However right now you needn't worry. So please, step out. Soon enough you will know but now is not the time."

"Father I refuse. Link is a dear friend of mine and he is clearly distraught over whatever is in that letter. Please, just explain--"

"Sidon enough." The King raised his voice just a bit but that was enough to echo throughout the room. Sidon blinked, looking hurt for a moment, before nodding. He slowly exited the room in defeat. Link gulped and looked straight ahead at the King's belly, he didn't want to make eye contact.

"Now then," King Dorephan sighed, "this is...quite the worrisome news now isn't it?" Link nodded. "Are you...well enough to answer questions my boy?" Another nod. "Good. Now then, first off, you are sure the two of you defeated Calamity Ganon before the princess met her demise?" Link bit the inside of his cheek and nodded again. "Good. I'm glad. Do you...do you believe you can handle the task of leading Hyrule?"

"I believe my task is to protect Hyrule kingdom and all it's people as best as I can." Link signed. "It is in my blood and it is something I can't escape."

"Yes yes well good for that but I was asking if you believe you can handle the task. Not that it is something you believe you have to do due to your background. Being a King isn't easy work, son. Now I am not saying fighting Ganon was simple but having the mental stability to rebuild and run a kingdom is needed. And, not to be rude, after what you have been through I do not believe it is a goal you can reach."

"With all due respect your highness I believe I am up to the task. I don't feel like my mental health is an issue and I've certainly proven to the nearly everyone here that I have the capability to take charge. The Princess left me this task and as her appointed knight it is my job to honor her last wish until I breathe my final breath." The King let out a gentle laugh and nodded understandingly.

"I understand, Link. I won't stop you from finishing the last wish of the last Princess of Hyrule. However I would just like you to know that if things do worsen for you us here at Zora's Domain, more specifically I myself, will always be there for you. We will be your most faithful ally for many years to come. And please remember that even though this job was placed heavily on you, you are not alone. Just how you weren't alone 100 years ago in defeating Ganon and how you weren't alone in defeating Ganon now."