M.U.S.E Chapter 21

Start from the beginning

"I am so hungry," I replied and lifted the baby off my breast to swap for a bowl of porridge. The baby screamed.

"Oh pauvre bébé," John said taking him and I felt guilty as I realised what I had just done. Discarding the baby over porridge. "It's ok, I can feed him," John said smiling reassuringly.

"I was so hungry I forgot," I replied.

"Eat, I will feed my little bébé," he said as he kissed the babies head and took the bottle, tested in on his wrist and put it in the baby's mouth. "Look at his grumpy face," he said laughing as he turned the baby for me to see the scowl.

I laughed and pulled a whoops face as I still felt guilty. I sat up in bed eating my porridge and drinking coffee as I watched him walk over and sit in a chair to feed the baby. Placing a blanket around the tiny thing to keep warm as Aimee walked into the bedroom taking my breath away. I quickly looked to John and he shrugged as she walked over to me and put her hands up to get on the bed. I placed the half eaten porridge on the tray and lifted her up. Just the touch of her skin made me have to fight the tears.

"Act normal," John whispered.

She lay on top of me, head against my chest like she used to and I pulled the blanket tight around us as I kissed her head and cuddled her tight. Her eyes looked at the half eaten porridge. I automatically took a spoonful and she shifted to the side a little so I could spoon feed her like I did when she was poorly and we would have a day in bed watching movies. She ate it in silence but her eyes had still lost that little something.

John snuck out of the room with the baby and returned with a non spill cup for her to drink from. Placing it on the side and walking away without making eye contact with either of us. I was hoping it was tea, she loved a cup of tea with sugar. I lifted up the cup and could feel the warmth. It was tea. I passed it to her as I mouthed to John thank you and asked him to turn the tv on. He pressed it on as she guzzled away and watched the tv.

"No daddy turn it over," she said sitting up a few minutes later.

John looked gob smacked. "Sorry sweetheart what do you want on?" he asked.

"Singing," she said.

"Anything in particular?" he asked.

"Shania Twain," she said.

Both John and I looked at each other. What the hell?

"She isn't on at the minute, can we put something else on?" he asked.

"No!" she said.

"I would like to watch Little Mermaid," I said.

She looked around and glared at me. It was like a different child.

"I love the little mermaid songs. Don't you Daddy?" I asked John.

"Yeah sure," he said staring at Aimee. I assumed from his face she wasn't communicating before this.

"Ok I will sing it... erm what are the words again?" I asked.

She looked at me and waited.

"Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?," I began to sing. She stared. "Wouldn't you think my collection's complete? Wouldn't you think I'm the girl, the girl who has everything?" She stared at me in wonder as her mind whirled. "Look at this trove, Treasures untold. How many wonders can one cavern hold? Looking around here you'd think, sure she's got everything." I sang.

I could see her eyes changing.

"I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty, I've got whozits and whatzits galore. You want thingamabobs? I got twenty but who cares? No big deal I want mooooorrrrrreeee," she joined in on the 'more' and carried on singing.