Chapter 7: A Dinner From Hell

Start from the beginning

The boy's cousin nodded. "Have fun, be careful, and... don't kill anyone."

"No promises," Audrey muttered through clenched teeth.

Without another word, the couple Dissapparated. The next thing Audrey knew, she was recovering from the whole process in the middle of Diagon Alley. Once she was no longer dizzy and on the verge of throwing up, she turned to Draco. "Do you remember what restaurant we were supposed to meet them at?" she asked.

Draco nodded. "Yea, I know right where it is."

With that, the couple began walking down the alley in the direction of the restaurant. Admittedly, Audrey was already tired of walking after a few steps, but it was nothing new. She had been more easily fatigued now than ever before thanks to the baby. She shook the feeling, knowing that in a few months' time, she would no longer have this issue; she would just be exhausted from chasing a child around. Audrey was jolted from her thoughts by Draco squeezing her hand.

"We're here," he announced, opening the door in front of them. He gestured for her to walk in, and then followed right behind her.

Audrey glanced around, and admittedly she was glad she had decided to just wear her jeans and a jacket. The restaurant wasn't particularly fancy, nor was it run-down. She certainly didn't feel bad about wearing bum-like clothing now. Upon glancing around, Audrey noticed Krystie and Fred sitting off towards the corner of the restaurant. Audrey's glance was met with a wave from Krystie. The girl hesitantly waved back before leading Draco over to the table.

"Glad to see you made it in one piece," the blonde girl greeted them as Audrey and Draco sat down across from them. "We were beginning to think you changed your minds."

Audrey bit her tongue, not daring to speak yet. The girl wasn't sure that was the way this conversation should start, so she let Draco reply to that one. "No, we just had some... family issues to attend to before we left," Draco explained.

Audrey glanced at her husband, oblivious to whatever he was talking about. She wasn't aware there had been an issue, although that did explain why he and Artemis were speaking quietly before she had come downstairs. She wanted to inquire more about it, but then she would've had to make a fool of herself.

"Family issues?" Krystie inquired. Audrey was admittedly glad her friend asked, hoping Draco would elaborate a bit more.

"There was a death in the family," Draco said quietly. "Killed by Death Eaters."

Frowns crossed everyone's faces. "Sorry about that, mate," Fred muttered.

Draco shrugged. "We weren't all that close, so it isn't that big a deal. All I know is that they need to get to the bottom of this before more people are killed."

He had a point. There had been dozens of murders in the past week, and they had been picking up the pace. It was only a matter of time before there was a massacre. "Do they even know who the new leader is yet?" Audrey asked, finally breaking her silence.

The four all exchanged glances at the question posed. After a few moments of no one seemingly having a clue, Fred had an idea. "You guys used to be Death Eaters. You don't know anyone that is crazy enough to take over Voldemort's position?"

Before either Audrey or Draco could answer him, a waiter approached them and took their orders. Once he scurried off to the kitchen, and was safely out of earshot, Draco answered Fred's question. "No idea. Most of the highest ranking Death Eaters were killed during the battle or imprisoned afterwards," he recalled. "All my best guesses fall into one of those categories."

"Damn," Fred mumbled.

"Most of us figure it is someone new in charge," Draco went on. "Not too many of the old ones are bright enough to put together an operation like this."

Audrey still somewhat thought Pansy Parkinson had something to do with it, but she doubted the girl was in charge. Like Draco said, the new leader had to be somewhat intelligent, and after seven years in the same dorm, Audrey knew Pansy was not intelligent enough. She had the drive, certainly, but she lacked brains. The girl shrugged it off as the topic of conversation finally switched to what they had originally gone there for.

"So... I'm really sorry I didn't tell you sooner," Krystie stated. "It's just been so chaotic around here, and trying to get everything put together has been a pain."

Audrey sat there in silence for a moment. She knew how tiring planning a wedding could be, yet she also had far more time to plan hers than her friend did. Audrey took a deep breath before answering Krystie. "It's cool," she said, shrugging her shoulder slightly. "I know it's busy and all."

"I guess the good news out of all of this is at least our kids can grow up together," Krystie added.

Audrey hadn't even thought of that. "Yea, I suppose so," she agreed. "So... I guess the big question is when's the ceremony?"

"Next weekend," Krystie answered, a smile very present on her face. "And I would really like for you to be in it."

Audrey felt her eyes go wide for a moment. Next weekend? There would be so much to do, and no time to do it in. Yet, Audrey was somehow going to pull through it and try her hardest to be there for her friend. "Sounds lovely," she eventually replied.

"Awesome! We'll get together in a few days to find you a dress and all that," Krystie stated. "And hopefully in that time you don't get too much larger, huh?"

Audrey glanced down at her stomach. Was it truly that obvious? "I was hoping no one noticed," she replied. "But it shouldn't be too bad, in theory."

Krystie nodded, just as the waiter came back with their drinks and salads. However, the group would never get to enjoy them. It was at that precise moment the restaurant's front door burst open and all hell broke loose.