Prolouge

Nick awoke to the sound of screaming. A blood curdling cry of pain, terror, or something in between.
     "Mom!" He yelled. As soon as he did it he realized it could have been a mistake.
      The screaming silenced as he slid out of his twin bed and placed a hand on the light switch. What if someone was out there? Would they see him turn on the light?
     A sharp pain in his chest pulled him out of his panic. Nick was one of the skinniest kids in his grade, and his concave chest often made him feel self conscious compared to the others.
      He pinched his arm, hoping to distract himself from the stabbing feeling that was slowing his breathing.
      Nick locked the door as silently as possible and pulled his phone off of the nightstand next to his bed.
Mom where are you? He texted.
In my room... Why are you still awake? She responded.
What the hell was that?!
      What are you talking about?
      Did you not hear the bloody murder scream?
      You're probably just tired. Get some sleep.
      Can you check?
      Nick felt a bit childish asking, but he was too freaked out to do anything else. His mom was pretty much the nicest person he knew. She worked at a children's hospital near their two story home, and always snuck snacks from the vending machine to his room when his dad wasn't around.
     Nicks phone vibrated once more. The only person screaming will be your father if he catches you drinking in your room. See you in the morning.
      Maybe the scream had just been Nicks imagination. It was already 12:50 and he still had to finish his global studies homework.
      Nick flipped on the lamp that sat atop his desk. Unfinished papers lay scattered around and on it.
      "Love you mom!" He called. After waiting a few seconds, Nick tucked himself in and continued staring at the ceiling.
       His stomach dropped as it happened. The same scream, right outside his door.
      Nick pulled his baseball bat off of the floor and hurried over to the door. What the hell was going on?
      His knuckles turned white as he tightened his grip on the bat. He could barely hear the screams over the blood rushing to his head.
      "Who's out there?!" He cried.
      Nick urged all of the bravery he had left into his hands, and turned the knob.
     The only visible source of light came from the bathroom down the hall. Normally the door was open in case anyone needed to use the toilet in the night.
     Nick ran across the hallway and began banging on his parents door. Glancing nervously down the stairs and into the darkness as he did.
     After several failed attempts, he couldn't take it anymore. Nick slammed the door open, breathing heavily.
     "Mom dad what the h-"
     Nick fell to his knees and let the baseball bat slip from his grasp. The weight in his chest forced him to the ground once more as he looked around the room.
     His mother and father lay sprawled across the floor. Both of them had distinct red marks on their necks. They stared at him through lifeless eyes.
     Nick stumbled out of the room and down the stairs. His mind was blank and cold. His heart was empty.
     The last thing he saw before everything went black was a man smiling at him from the darkness. Holding his mothers phone.