"Hae." Yeon's eyes widened in surprise when she saw the male. Her brow furrowed. "What are you doing here?"

She took a few steps toward the male, before pausing. Hae was also dressed in something slightly more formal than what he would normally wear. Oh. Was he planning on asking her out to the festival? But then it was already this late...

Hae's eyes fell on her hair? No, the pin. Silently, Yeon watched as Hae's expression morphed into one of pain. He took a step away, before lifting a finger.

"You and him... are?" He paused, before storming from Yeon's place.

"Are you just going to let him leave?" Jaeha's voice broke the silence. "He probably misunderstood us."

Yeon shook her head and pushed open the entrance to her home. She heard Jaeha following her and she hurriedly lit a candle. "No, it'll be better like this. I've told him that I only saw him as a friend before but he never listened to me." She lit another. "I'll have a proper talk with him later."

Jaeha hummed. "Is that so?"

Honestly, Yeon doubt that she would have a talk with Hae anytime soon. She felt if she were to reject him finally, he would forever be a stranger to her afterward.

Or was she afraid of disappointing him? Yeon sniffed, setting down the first candle after lighting a third candle in a lamp. Hanging that by the wall, Yeon brushed her hair from her face. Her fingers brushed against the pin.

All her life, she never indulged in luxuries such as jewelry. The few time she actually wore one was when the members of the pleasure house had forced some onto her before.

"Relationships sure are complicated," Jaeha's voice broke her train of thoughts and Yeon glanced over in surprise.

"Really?"

Jaeha pulled his hair free from the orange ribbon. His emerald eyes stared at the wide ribbon in his hands as he continued speaking. "They tie you down and make you confused. Both the good and the bad, I mean." He turned the ribbon over.

Yeon tilted her head before moving closer. "Say, I feel like you've never had one good relationship with someone before."

Jaeha glanced up at her, surprise at her direct statement. He smiled, though it didn't seem genuine. "No, I've never had." He paused but continued shortly after, as though he was deep in thought. "I've never felt lonely, though, so I don't think it's a problem."

"Well obviously." Yeon was already setting up her tatami mat. "Loneliness is a thing that you can only feel when you have people around you to start with."

Yeon yawned. She was obviously feeling tired by now. Setting out everything else, Yeon undid her hair, setting the clip aside. "I hope you can find a bond with someone that you'll truly cherish." She gave the male one last smile. "I'm going to sleep now, so mind extinguishing the light? You could keep one if you want."

Jaeha moved from his spot and Yeon saw from under her lids that he took out the two candle. The last, the one in the lantern, Jaeha also extinguished. "Yeah..." His voice was hesitant, thoughtful almost. "Good night Yeon."

She felt a cool breeze (he probably opened the window) before she felt herself being pulled into sleep.

~~~~~

The next day began like any others. Yeon rose from her mat, stretching, and glanced over at where Jaeha would've been. Her eyebrow immediately furrowed when she saw no one.

Where did he go? The stack of hay was virtually untouched as though no one had slept in it the previous night... A strike of panic passed through her. What if he decided to leave?