Chapter Seventeen

Beginne am Anfang

"Do you remember your parents?" Elisabete asked.

"Mama, I do, but not my papa." Faust replied.

"Did he die?" Elisabete inquired.

Faust nodded his head and Elisabete sighed as she rubbed his back.

"Do you miss him?" She asked.

The boy shrugged his shoulders. It had been a stupid question for her to have asked. She looked down at the toys before her and noticed a small plush dog. She picked it up into her hand and smiled brightly as she looked at it.

"You know, when I was little girl, about your age, I had a dog that looked just like this." Elisabete told him.

"You did?" Faust asked, giving her his full attention.

"Mhmm. He was a very kind dog too. Some days, he'd come up towards you..." Elisabete trailed off.

As she continued to speak, she made the dog walk towards Faust, his eyes focused on the toy.

"And with a gleam in his eye he'd...pounce on you and lick your entire face!" Elisabete laughed.

She gently poked the toy about Faust's face, making him laugh loudly, falling onto his back from the laughter. Elisabete giggled as she helped him back up so he was sitting. He then took the toy from her hands and stood up onto his feet. She gave him a look as he walked towards her and then poked the toy about her face and Elisabete laughed loudly, making the boy giggle.

Loki walked down the hallway to his next meeting and was taken from his thoughts when he heard loud laughter coming from the boy's room. He scrunched his face together and paced towards the door. He slowly opened the door and furrowed his brow as he looked at the sight before him. Elisabete was sitting on the floor as Faust was running around her, making the toys in his hands fly through the air. Elisabete clapped her hands together and smiled brightly at the boy, watching him explore his imagination. Shortly after, the boy had walked over to Elisabete and laid a kiss to her cheek. She blushed and giggled as she rustled his hair, making him laugh as well. As he watched, Loki felt himself smile, not being able to control it. He could not believe how motherly Elisabete was with a boy she had never met before. He felt his heart flutter and his hands tingle with delight, a feeling he was not accustomed to.

He then cleared his throat and Elisabete looked over at him, her eyes widening as she held the boy's hands, keeping him in place.

"I am sorry, my king. Have we disturbed you?" Elisabete asked.

"Quite the opposite. Although, you have potentially made me late for a meeting with my advisors, but that is my fault for stopping in." Loki replied.

"I will get to my other duties now." Elisabete spoke.

As she stood up, Loki's blood boiled as he watched the boy grip onto her dress and whine, begging her to stay. He hated how the boy was acting as though she was his mother. Elisabete knelt down in front of him and took his face into her hands.

"I had a fun time, but i must be on my way. I will be back tonight, Faust." Elisabete said softly.

The boy huffed and sat down on the floor as Elisabete looked over at Loki. He stepped into the room and eyed the boy warily.

"I am glad you have become acquainted with the boy. You will be tending after him during his stay here." Loki told her.

"His stay?" Elisabete asked.

"This boy is Sanit's nephew. His parents perished and he was sent to live with Sanit, his last remaining relative. I am to discuss what happens to him with her once she is better. Until then, he is yours to care for." Loki explained.