Chapter 2

Toby's POV

By the time it was Monday I couldn't wait to see Spencer again. But what would I say? I wake up to the sound of my alarm and begin to get ready. I start by getting a shower, then dressed and then I go downstairs to greet my mother and step-father.

"Morning." I say walking into the kitchen, "where's Wren?" I ask not really caring.

"He doesn't start back until Wednesday so he's probably in bed." My mum tells me. "Do you need a ride to school?"

"Can't I just take the car?" I beg. It's not that cool to show up in your mums car.

"Sorry kiddo not today. I need it." I fight the urge to roll my eyes as she says this.

I sigh, "fine."

This seriously isn't going to work out. I need a car of my own. But I probably won't get one of them for a while. About 15 minutes later my mum tells me to get ready as we're going to leave soon. I grab my coat, phone, bag and proceed to the car. I hear it unlock so I jump into the passenger seat and my mum gets into the driver seat soon after.

"So are you going to be okay? First day at a new school and all."

"Mum, I'll be fine." I reassure her. I hate it when she gets like this. I know she's just caring for me but she treats me like a little kid.

"Do you know anybody?" She asks curiously.

"Just one girl I met the other day." I tell her. Obviously I'm thinking about Spencer.

"A girl? What's her name?" Okay so now my mum is getting a bit to... snoopy.

"Spencer. Okay and that's all I'm telling you."

After about five more minutes of driving we arrive outside the school.

"Have a good first day." She says sweetly to me.

I give her a quick wave and she drives off. I enter the new school. This is the worst part. The first day. I walk in looking around at all the new faces, no one really seems to notice me which is a good thing. I like not being noticed. A few people glance at me as I walk down the hall. For first period I have to go speak with the office, get my timetable and all that. As I look from person to person I see a familiar face. Well, the only face that I should have known. Her hair was as shiny and straight as always. Her eyes were dazzling like always. She was as beautiful as ever. Why is she so amazing? I walk over beside her and greet her.

"Hey Spencer." I smile.

"Hey Toby." She smiles back. I love her smile.

"Can I just say about the other day sorry about my Step-brother and I. It must have been awkward." I tell her.

"No, it's fine Toby. Trust me. You can feel the tension between my sister and I miles off." She jokes. "So, where are you first?"

"I have to go to the office. You know get my timetable and things."

"Oh yeah. So maybe we could meet up for lunch later? I'm sure you don't know too many people."

"Yeah that would be great. If you don't mind of course?"

"If I minded then I wouldn't of asked." She laughs.

Ugh, I love her laugh. I love everything about this girl. We are interrupted by the bell. She waves goodbye and heads in the opposite direction. After receiving my timetable and some notes they tell me that I should get a tutor to help me catch up on notes that I've missed as I started later than they would've  liked. By the time I get through a couple short classes, it's lunch. And I get to see Spencer again. I grab my lunch and I see Spencer sitting at a table on her own. She gives me a small wave and gestures me to come over.

"Hey. So how's your first day going?" She says as I sit down.

"Yeah it's going fine thanks. How had your day been?" I ask her back. Could you not think of anything better to say Toby ?! I think to myself.

"Same as every Monday. So do you need any help getting caught up on notes?"

"Yes I do actually. How did you know?"

"Well I just figured. You're starting a bit later than usual. If you want I can come and help you." She suggests.

Wait, She wants to help me. She wants to come over and help me. Spencer wants to help me. I process this and I realise it takes me a minutes to answer.

"Oh, yeah I'd love that thanks." I say to her.

"It's no problem. Do you want to meet up after school?"

"Yes." I say probably a bit to quickly. Does it sound like I'm desperate?

"So, where?" She laughs.

"Oh, we could meet at my place. 4?" I suggest.

"Sounds great," she says, "I can't wait."

Neither can I Spencer. Neither can I.

Spencer's POV

Toby and I say for the rest of lunch just talking and getting to know each other. God, how is he so perfect. His light brown hair and sea blue eyes are amazing to just gaze at. His muscular body is just so great I can't get over it. I can't believe he actually wants to hang out with me. Does he think I'm crazy suggesting that we should hang out after school? Maybe he knows that I was just trying to help with his tutoring. But do I want more than that? I don't know. The rest of the day goes by really slowly I'm just so excited to hang out with Toby again. I know it's weird and all like we just met. But there's something about him that's... different.
I can feel he's not like other boys. He's sweet, funny, intelligent and handsome. But who am I kidding? Why would a boy like that want to go out with a girl like me?
Ugh, I wish life was much more simple.