Chapter 4

Evening's p.o.v.

I was still angry but less likely to snap at the first person who says something to me. I walk out of my room and sit down on the rug. It's one of the nicest things we own. It's the only thing to keeps us from sitting on the dirt ground. We also eat on it, because we have no chairs. All we have is a mud fireplace; where we do most of our cooking, we have a table, for preparing food, but we eat on the rug, or stand around the table. I spend most of my time in my room; which isn't much better, Amber and I have a cot that we both share. I've tried to give the cot to my mom but she refuses to accept it.

"Evening you have to sign up for the selection" Amber said jumping up and down her dark brown braids flying. She absolutely loves the selection, even though she's never seen one. When King Michael had his, it was for my mom's generation, and Amber wasn't even bored. Amber loves the idea of the selection, more than the actual selection. I almost wish she was old enough to participate. However she's only 12 and the ages range from 16-17, as long as your birthday is before June 25. They keep the rule that you cannot be older than the prince. The selection would have been good for my sister, if she was old enough and was chosen. I wish so badly that she could go to the palace. Yes, I do hate the royal family, but at least she would get to eat 3 meals a day, plus get to act like a prince. Also after she left, even though it would break her hear to leave us behind she would get to be a 3 and would no longer have to fight to eat a meal a day.

"Sorry Amber, no can do." I don't want to go to the castle, they're all stuck up, and think they're better than us. Which I can't even blame most of them. The king and Queen, yes, they have the power to change how the lower caste lives, and yet they push us deeper into poverty ach year. But for the people that live at the palace, that have no voice, I don't blame them as much, they didn't have to be so snobby about it, but that's all they know and they've never had to go without tea for a day, let alone a meal. They were truly sheltered from the real world. I add the last part in my head, and in my heart I know that's not the only reason. I knew I cannot love a prince who cared for nothing and left his people in poverty, scrapping to get by. More than anything, I want love, I want what my parents had, before my dad got killed trying to help his family. I want true, world shattering, knee bending, mind exploding love.

My parents were the perfect example. My father, a 4 met my mom, a 7. They met one day when his family hired her to shovel snow. She didn't have any winter clothes so she when in what she had, a paper thin dress. She was shoveling the snow and dad saw her shivering and he came out and gave her his sister's old winter coat that they had in storage. From the moment her laid eyes on her, and saw her strength and determination to work and provide for her family, he fell in love. They loved each other so much, but my father's family said he wasn't a loud to marry her, because of her low rank. My dad fought with his family, if only they gave him is blessing, my mother could file marriage paperwork and become a 4. Without the consent of both families however, even if they were to marry, Dad would have to drop down to the 7 caste. That's exactly what he did. For him their love was stronger. Another reason why I can't sign up for the selection is because I won't even be able to leave my family to go off on an adventure.

"Please, please, please" Amber's begging brings me out of my thoughts.

"Amber I can't," though she continues to urge me to join the selection. Which in itself is a stupid idea, I mean having girls parade around in hopes of impressing a prince who is probably only concerned with looks. It makes me sick. I could never be a part of it. My mom walks up to the room a smile on her face, and determination in her eyes.

  "Hey, eeeeeeeevvvvennnning.....baby doll, my daughter;" she draws out my name whenever she does that is when she wants something.

"No mom, whatever you want, the answer is no." I hold up my hand like I'm warding off a demon.

"Oh come on you didn't even know what I was going to ask." My mom pouts, her plans evaporating.

"No I don't." I hold my head high, trying not to let my composure crack under her sticky sweet smile. "But I know that whatever you want it's not good, it never is when you had that look." 

Mom's smile dissipates like she knows she lost the fight. "Fine, whatever, but dinner is ready so get your butts in the dining room and eat the food before it gets too cold." On the table I see 3 tiny bread chucks on the time, slightly warmed from the fire. I also notice the slightly bigger portion on my plate. Probably a bribe, however I know because of my stubbornness my mom gave me her portion of bread for tomorrow's dinner. I get it from my seat on the floor and walk to the other side of the hut, my feet making little sound as it smacks the hard dirt. "You too Amber," my mom follows us as we both stand around the table.

"Bow your head girls. Dear Lord, I know we don't have much, but thank you for what we do have, and bless those who have more than us. Help them to use it wisely. Amen" I had to bite my lip to keep myself from laughing at the last part but I don't say anything as I quietly my piece of the bread for dinner. Tearing of the extra piece my mom gave me, handing it back to her, a silent peace offering, for what might happen.

A-̞KTUnD