"Thank you, Frank. As do you," he said gently. He sounded like he was mentally dancing on eggshells, afraid to say anything besides generic phrases. Frank wasn't sure exactly what he was afraid of – it's not like Frank was going to jump him if he said a wrong word.

"So, uh. What do you need me to do?" Frank asked, finally glancing up at him. As expected, his chest gave a soft squeeze, and he felt himself blush.
Maybe he imagined it, but he thought he saw red blossoming under Gerard's soft, pale cheeks in response. It was the only thing that assured him that this was mutual. He hadn't dreamt that kiss, or the way Gerard's whole body reacted to him. It was real. They were real.

Gerard smiled softly up at him, chewing a little on his lip. Frank's eyes were immediately drawn to the action, his face reddening even more as he remembered what that lip felt like being pressed against his own.

"Well, I mean, just the same as usual. Make sure all the pews have Bibles and hymn sheets. Just..." Gerard waved a hand, "just make sure everything's ready."
Frank realised then that Gerard actually had nothing for him to do at all. He'd asked Frank here because he wanted to see him, to be around him.
The idea made Frank's stomach flutter, and he gave Gerard a knowing smile.

"Alright, Father," he murmured, stepping back.
Gerard paused for a moment before clearing his throat.

"Uh, Frank?"

"Yes, Father?" he asked, turning around. Gerard smiled fondly.

"Thank you for coming to help," he murmured. Frank ducked his head and smiled, and for a moment, he saw Gerard's façade slip, revealing a certain softness and light in his eyes. Frank's heart was a hummingbird, thrumming her wings against the steel cage of his ribs in a plight to escape.

"Anything for you, Father," he murmured. He half-bowed as he left the vestry.
If he'd listened really carefully, he might have heard the gentle hitch in Gerard's breath as he walked away.

Unsurprisingly, by the time the Church opened its doors for Mass, it was absolutely spotless.
Frank had had to return to the vestry several times to ask for new tasks, and each time Gerard had just waved a hand and given him something useless and menial to do. It only further confirmed Frank's assumption that he was only there because Gerard wanted to see him.
His suspicion was further realised on the few occasions when Gerard would emerge, make random small talk, and walk back to his office.
It was infuriating to Frank, but it was something. Besides, it's not like Frank minded the interactions either. He'd missed Gerard like this – warm, soothing, calm. It was a huge jump from the man who'd been pressed desperately against him only a few days before.

Just before Mass actually started, Frank, as always, found Gerard about to approach the pulpit.

"Am I coming to your place after this?" he asked casually. They'd always done it before, so he didn't see why now should be any different. Several emotions flicked over Gerard's face – first panic, then confusion, then a cool, but not entirely composed, smile.

"No, thank you Frank. If you're not staying for the service, you're free to go," he said lightly, his words delicate and carefully chosen. Frank felt his stomach tighten, his smile faltering for a moment.

"Oh, I just thought we-"

Gerard's eyes lit up with a holy fire that threatened to scorch Frank's will. He looked furious, even as the cool smile still graced his lips.

"We'd what? What could we possibly do?" he demanded, seeming to grow in height as Frank stared at him with an incomprehensible expression.

"We used to hang out," he mumbled, feeling a lot like a petulant child at that moment. Gerard rolled his eyes.