What's in a Name

The partners left town at a casual hand gallop feeling secure in the fact that no one was chasing them. Once far enough away from the populace they pulled their horses down to a more sedate jog trot and settled in to conversation.

“We still don't have any supplies,” Kid pointed out. “Ya' hadn't actually paid for those things back there did ya'?”

Heyes looked insulted. “Kid!” he complained. “when have you known me to throw away good money?”

Kid snorted. “The way our luck's been runnin', you coulda bought the whole store and we'd still be outa supplies AND money by now. At least you got supper.”

“Aw quit your belly-aching.”

“Well my belly is aching!” Kid pointed out. “I'm hungry and we got no supplies. Where's the next town?”

Heyes shrugged. “I donno, that way.”

“Heyes, all ya' did is point in the direction we're goin'. You don't have any idea do ya'?”

“I just said I don't know,” Heyes snarked. “This road looks fairly well travelled, it must go somewhere.”

“Yeah.” Kid suddenly looked concerned. “Maybe it's a little too well travelled, especially with the sun comin' up. Probably be a good idea if we find a back trail for now, don't wanna be runnin' into the wrong element.”

“It'll take longer to get there Kid,” Heyes pointed out. “You sure you're empty belly can stand it?”

“I'd rather have my belly empty than full of lead,” Kid pointed out. “C'mon, this way.”

Kid spied a likely looking trail leading off into the hills and the partners pushed their horses down the embankment and up the other side to disappear into the foliage.

Six hours later two travellers approached the outskirts of a small stick in the dirt town. They stopped and sat their horses for a moment, contemplating the weather worn name sign hanging cock-eyed from the rotting post.

“'Welcome to Hard Luck',” Heyes read with some trepidation.

Heyes and Kid exchanged anxious looks. The Kid's stomach growled.

“Well,” Kid smiled, “what's in a name?”

Heyes looked dubious but nudged his horse forward anyways. Kid's smiled dropped as he followed his partner down the hill. As long as the local sheriff's name wasn't 'Surekill' they should be alright.

Jogging down what could only be called the 'main street', the dark haired man in the lead still appeared relatively fresh after having spent some comfortable down time in relatively adequate accommodation coupled with a decent meal. The other man looked as weary and hungry as his horse did, having spent that same time hiding in the bushes and having to stay awake to keep watch over their situation. The horses had dined on sparse grass and the man had chewed on what was left of the old jerky. All but one were feeling grumpy.

“What do we want to do first?” Heyes asked as they both scanned the street for danger signs. “We still need supplies and a place to put the horses up—oh my god! Is that the hotel?”

“I don't care what we do second,” Kid grumbled. “but I gotta eat first. If I don't get some food soon I'm gonna pass out.”

“Hmm,” Heyes nodded. He was feeling a bit peckish himself so he knew the Kid must be starving. “Well, that looks like an eatery and saloon all in one over there. I don't see a sheriff's office so...”

“Good!” Kid turned his tired horse towards the hitching rail in front of local dining establishment and read the worn out and faded sign dangling over the door.