Fives x Civilian Volunteer!Reader

Start from the beginning

"Come with me, rookie," the captain growls at Rode as he starts walking away. "Echo, on me. And you, erm..."

"(Y/n) (Y/l/n), captain," you say as you straighten your spine, trying to mask your relief with a respectful mask.

"(Y/n), could you take on his duties in the Infarmary? Fives here will help you carry the med supply boxes back from the storage room."

"Right away, sir," you reply, earning a small smirk from the captain. With Echo's help, he escorts Rode away. Good riddance. At least these troopers are level-headed, and you won't have to worry about the men Rode has left unsupervised.

"I hope they court-martial that bastard," you huff as your steady legs carry you to the storage room, your newfound courage giving a lovely spring to your steps. It's a good look on you, the trooper has to acknowledge, and while he's sure you would have been able to deal with Rode on your own, he's still glad he and his brothers were there to assist you.

"Oh, don't worry about it, I'm sure they will," Fives replies, a smirk pulling at his lips. The thought of Rode squirming shouldn't make him this satisfied, but he takes whatever he can get.

Once inside, you pile box upon box to make sure the clones left unchecked will not suffer the lack on anything. You're a bit worried you might have gone overboard, but it's not like you can't take turns carrying it all to the infirmary. "Right, that should do it. Two or three turns, and we'll get it all to the boys."

"Two or three turns? You clearly don't know me. I can handle this in one go."

Fives leans down and lazily attempts to pick up a crate, but is soon surprised by its weight. His eyes widen almost comically and you grin, picking up a crate of your own. "So... Remember what I said about taking it all in one? Let's make it three. Maybe four."

...

"My arms are burning. Is it normal for my arms to still burn?"

You can't help but giggle. You are both exhausted messes by the end of your shift, you taking care of the clones and thus pulling a double shift, Fives heroically staying and offering his help to you despite the fact that he had a day off. But all the aching, all the exhaustion is worth it because you saved lives and left the world a little better than you found it. "You'll be fine."

"Are you sure? It seems rather serious to me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I should come back tomorrow for a checkup. And the day after too, for good measure."

You think he's joking still, and you glance at him with a wide smile, but his face is serious, his eyes searching your face to see what reaction his implication would elicit from you. When he smirks a little, you realise he's flirting with you, and you try not to blush too much.

"Well, I'm the medical professional, and I don't think you should be left alone and unsupervised tonight."

"Can't argue with that logic. I have some things to take care of, but meet me by the entrance of the volunteer's barracks in about an hour."

...

Coruscant at night is a truly marvelous sight - all twinkling city lights and ships like a thousand fireflies blurring with the stars of the night sky. You're lucky enough to be on the surface, to see the sky, to breathe the air less polluted than on the levels below. Fives kept his word, and returned to you an hour later, with rations and a bottle of Corellian whiskey, the result of a favour called in. You slipped out into the Coruscanti night, and found an abandoned catwalk closed due to a construction left unguarded. It seems safe enough though, so you stay, and eat, and talk and laugh. You both need this, after dealing with Rode's defective behaviour and harassment, after tending to the wounded and the sick all day.