For the One I Love Chapter 6

6th Chapter:

Akiko's Audience with Emperor Niao, Ruler of the Huo Empire

"Sire!" A soldier had burst into the emperor's office sometime during the afternoon, and on his had was a rolled piece of paper.

"Yes, what is it?" Niao, the Emperor of Huo, asked.

The soldier bowed once, then gave the paper to the emperor. "A message just came in. It's from your brother, General Yu Gui."

"Yes, thank you. You may now take your leave," Niao bade the soldier, and the soldier bowed once more and left the room.

Niao unrolled the paper and read...

Brother,

I send this report to let you know of the present situation. 

As of now, the routes towards the capitol are safe, and are free of monsters lurking about. For now, the state of the nation's welfare is good and is showing no signs of being under emergency due to outside attacks. 

Now, for more pressing matters. 

On our way back to the capitol, we encountered demons that are out in the open, without any shade whatsoever. For the past years since their appearance, they've been known to lurk in areas with any degree of shade, or even darkness, for that matter. It seems that they are getting stronger, and I must implore your Excellency to raise this up in your next council meeting. 

Next would be quite a shock to you, as I now announce that the decreed summoner of Fenghuang has made herself known to the world. As of now, she is on her way to the capitol with me escorting her as her protection, for she nearly had her life lost in an encounter with the demons in the forests at the territorial boundaries of the nation. She now requests a private audience with you, as the matter she is about to present to you is of the utmost importance. 

I now request for you to prepare with all haste, as we will be arriving in a matter of an hour.

Yu Gui

"It seems that His Eminence also received the same letter from the general as well," Someone said. Niao looked up to see Zhang, his minister for National Security.

"Oh, Minister Zhang, what brings you here?" Niao asked with a smile. He was always delighted to have visits from this courtier of his. He wasn't only the youngest in his court, having passed his civil service exams at the age of sixteen, but also the wittiest in matters of national welfare and public safety as well.

In response to the emperor's question, the minister raised up a letter identical to what Niao was reading.

"Oh, I see," the emperor's tome became all businesslike all of a sudden. "You also received a letter from Yu Gui."

"Yes," Zhang agreed with Niao, siting in a nearby chair. His tone was rather foreboding as he said it. "And what he presents is rather ill-natured, don't you think?"

"How do you say so?" Niao asked.

"I was reading in the library earlier," Zhang explained. "I found a rather interesting manuscript there."

"And what is that, I wonder?"

"I found the only narrative of the war between the water demon and the four deities in existence. For three days I have read it, and..." He stopped, and when Niao hears that, it was a really bad sign.

"What is it?" Niao asked, his tone reflecting his dread.

"It seems... that a war maybe on our hands soon..." was all that Zhang said.