Exclusive Connection - Three

I was not curious of that world

I learned to be content on the water that I am in.

It's not a perfect one but it's a world I want to protect.

This is the story of a merman, which dedicated his life to protect the part of the ocean that he can.

Merman? Shokoy kamo!

"Richard, the shark head is on a rampage at the dump. They want to find who kills their elder"

"I'm on it. The black witch is our only chance if we want a quick result"

"But her price is high"

Sino 'yang witch na 'yan?!

"Don't worry about that, I have a plan"

"Okay, I trust you, so get on with it"

"I will"

"Aha, Richard, welcome! Welcome to my cave!"

"Thank you. I'm here on official business"

"Tsk. Tsk. Business, you're always business but no play"

"The ocean is a big workplace, you know"

Workaholic ka kamo!

"Workaholic fishes always says that"

Iyan, pagsabihan mo nga yan, witch

"Crimes never sleeps, witch"

"Tsk. So what can I do for you, Richard?"

"Elder sharks is dead, do you know who killed him?"

"Of course, I always know... the past, present...and the future"

"What's the price? I have to know who killed him"

"Oh, Richard, you're always in a hurry. Don't you want to play with me first?"

"You're not my type"

"Hahahaha! I know but it's always fun to see your grumpy face" she pointed at her boiling cauldron with white pearly liquid, "I like to watch you, you know"

"I don't care"

Ako! I care. Hampasin ko yang pugita na yan eh. Anong pinapanuod ka all day? Ano ka, artista?!

"Tsk. You're my first customer. So, I'll give you a discount"

"The price. What is it?"

"Your smile"

"My smile?"

"Yes, the name of the killer in exchange of your smile"

"Done!"

"Oh, Richard, you don't know how valuable your smile is, do you?"

"I don't care"

"One of this days, you will care. And remember, I have a no-return policy"

"Are you going to say the killer's name or you'll talk all day?"

Grabe, ang sungit mo talaga. Pati ba naman sa kwentong ito?

"Arthur, the killer's name is Arthur"

"What species?"

"Oho! You only paid for the name but nothing further"

"Hhmm, I can start with a name"

"O-okay, I'm feeling generous today so I'll add more for you. Arthur is human. A fisherman"

"A fisherman?"

"Yes, are you going to inform the shark heads?"

"I will but I have to confirm first the information you've given"

"Are you insulting me? My information is always first class?!"

"I don't mean to insult. It's just common protocol. It's my job"

"That job makes you grumpy and cold"

"I have no reason to not be"

"Tsk. Tsk. I'll give you the location where you can see Arthur. This is for free"

"Why? What are you up to?"

"Nothing. I just like to see how things will turn up on your side"

"Whatever, thank you anyway"

Richard went to the location the black witch has stated. He saw Arthur on his boat. "Human's has it easy. They always thought they own the world"

Arthur, the fisherman, throws a bottle in the sea, far away from Richard's location and it exploded.

"Just as I expected"

Richard always trusted his instinct; he threw the special trident issued for a merman like him in the air, its projectile directly to Arthur's chest. "You are executed by nature. Destroying the ocean is a criminal offense under our law, man"

The clouds grew dark and lighting strikes the ocean's horizon. Big waves have appeared, rocking Arthur's boat. Within seconds, the boat capsized and Arthur was thrown into the sea. Never to be seen again.

"The shark heads will be having a feast"

Just then a load scream got his attention.

"Uncle Arthur?!" A beautiful lady in a yacht comes near where the sunken boat of Arthur used to be.

Richard stares at her in wonder. He rarely sees a human in close proximity and this human is far more beautiful than any mermaid he has ever seen.

The sea continues its rage, the yacht is in trouble and she's in a dangerous position.

"Get away from there!" He tried to warn her but the rain started, creating more noises with the waves.

He saw her body got overboard. "No!"

Richard swim as quick as he can. A human will never survives in this storm, the storm created by its revenge to those who tries to harm its people.

He catches her just in time before her body sunk further to the black abyss of the ocean... where Arthur's body will rot forever.

Richard gives her a mouth to mouth, a kiss of air. It's a gift bestowed only once by a merman to someone he will forever ties his fate. "What have I done?"

He laid her body into the shore behind the big rocks so that no one can see the difference between a man and a merman.

Her head moves, she's waking up.

"Arthur deserves the punishment he got. You are innocent. I always protect the innocent"

She opened her eyes, it's a warm brown, Richard wants to smile but he doesn't know how. "Ah, so this is what she means that one day, I will care"

"W-who are you? You saved me"

Again, he wants to smile but he can't. "This is frustrating. I'm Richard"

"Richard?"

"Call me when you need me" his final words before leaving her and swimming back to the ocean.

"Maine? Wake up, you're having bad dreams"

"Ate?"

"Yes, I decided to drop by" Ate Coleen looked around her bed. "You're reading little mermaid?"

"Nakatulugan ko na nga lang"

"Hhmm, binabasa mo lang yan kapag may masamang nangyari"

"He turns into a bubble"

"You broke up?"

"He did. Di ako sumagot"

"The fairytale ends, ganun ba?"

"What we have is not a fairytale. It is real. I will fight for it"