25

The rest of our trip went well, all things considered. Daveed was recovering quite well and it was good to be back in New York. When I told Lin what happened, I could hear his voice change. Not anger, but something like parental worry.

"Well is he ok?" He crossed his arms and shifted his weight.

I scratched the back of my neck. "He's good. The doctor said he was lucky it was just a night and a little bit of exposure. He's been resting and should be cleared to come back in a few days."

" I think Andrew will be happy to play something other than the Lafayette/Jefferson track." Lin laughed. "But how was the rest of your trip?" He implored, trying to find a silver lining in this entire mess.

"I mean, he found out about the whole England situation, so that's out of the way at least," I told him positively, earning a halfhearted smile from Lin.

"But," Lin furrowed his eyebrow, knowing that there was obviously more to the story.

"He's not the happiest about it," I sighed, running my hands through my hair, tugging slightly at the scalp, trying to ease the pressure I'm feeling. "He claims that I'll be 'leaving him in the dust'," I mocked, scoffing at my stubborn partner's statement.

"Wait, what?" Lin gave a dry chuckle, leaning back on his other leg, refolding his arms the other way, moving his jaw from side to side while rolling his eyes. "Isn't he going to California?" He questioned, pointing out the obvious flaw in Daveed's argument.

"Uh huh," I nodded, rolling my eyes this time. "He's just being moody,"

"Well you got that right," Lin agreed.

"But have you told Noah? What about Junie?"

"Noah is well aware and Junie will be living with us. They will finish out high school over there since they will be moving in the middle of their junior year. If they only have a semester left when the movie is done, we will stay in London until they graduate. Then, I mean, its up to them. They're going off to college." Lin nodded.

"What are you going to do about that?"

"Get another job. Work nights, do something." I say, crossing my arms and shifting my weight into my hip.

"Let me help with that." Lin says, his voice soft and helpful.

"Absolutely not. You are doing quite enough with the living and tickets and things like that. I need to do this for my baby brother. And I don't know if you've noticed, but he is really, really smart, and he dances as good as your college grads. He will be fine. I will make it work. Plus I have money stashed away for this exact purpose. I still get survivors checks and I haven't touched them." Lin nodded and looked away to watch Sebastian and his fascination with Chuggington.

I looked around at the apartment I had become so comfortable in. "It's weird, you know? Soon all of this will be different."

"I know."

IM BACK PITCHES. ITS SHORT IK, BUT I HAVE... PLANS.