01

Brent had just received a rather stern scolding from is small-framed mother about, what he thought, was his only flaw. She had, for what felt like the millionth time, confronted him on his incapability of calmly handling situations that don't go his way. As they sat across from each other at his large oak desk, she sat up a little straighter and stated, with a rather matter-of-fact tone, "And since you sent your third secretary this month home in tears yesterday, I have arranged for you to have a full-time helper, I should say, to aid you in resolving your temper issues." "Mother," Brent started, matching her tone, "First off, I hardly think I need a helper  considering I have no 'temper issues'. I merely get my point across in a more firm way. Second of all, I  have a business to run and, incase you haven't noticed, this is the real world, I'm not going to sweet-talk  all of my employees until they get the job done correctly." "Dear, nobody is asking you to sweet-talk your employees," Mrs. Hollier mentioned as she began to rise from her chair, "and I'm not giving you a choice, I've already hired her so you're just going to have to deal with it. She's outside waiting now, I'll send her in on my way out." While blowing her son a kiss and waving to him, she began to open the door and Mrs. Hollier simply smiled at the nervous girl sitting by his door before telling her that Brent was ready to see her. As she stood, Maisie grabbed her bag and brushed out the wrinkles in her skirt before pushing open the abnormally large doors that led to his office, attempting to walk with a sort of confidence she knew she didn't obtain. Before she was even able to introduce herself Brent let out a loud scoff and, for a small moment, Maisie thought that he had just coughed something up. "Oh, you can't be serious? My mother wants you  to try and help me with whatever anger issues she thinks I've got? Well, you may as well just turn around and go home because I don't need any help with anything," he said quite loudly. And, with the very little audacity she had just received from being so offended from his remark, Maisie uttered, "Well, I hate to be the first person to tell you that you can't do something but, seeing as it was your mother who hired me and not you, you don't quite have the authority to tell me to 'turn around and go home'." So as to finish her point and try and make it seem like she knew what she as doing, even though it was only to steady her slightly trembling legs, she sat down in the seat Brent's mother had just been in, folding her hands and placing them on top of his desk.