Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

"We have been through far too much to break our relationship off now. I am disgusted by my brother and you." She snarls. Orion just chuckles and forces her wrist down away from his neck.

"If only you did not let your impatience overtake you. I was suggesting no such thing." She frowns and steps back, his hand releasing her immediately. "You are to be married. My mother is arranging the dress for you. You will be married this Saturday." She steps back further, her brow furrowing as he speaks.

"Excuse me." She manages to say.

Orion laughs. "If you are to both keep working for me I cannot allow you to remain unmarried in these circumstances. Romance dies down after marriage I have heard and you should then be able to put your mind where it needs to be, on your mission."

"Ever the romantic, Orion." Jacqui lets out a laugh. "However I hate to disappoint you. I am not going to marry Ross simply on your say so."

Orion shakes his head, amusement flashing across his face. "This should be entertaining then." His nods his head to someone behind her and she whirls round. Ross stands there holding a small black box. He smiles tightly at her. "Well get on with it. It should not take her long to say no." Orion pushes and Jacqui quickly sends him a glare.

"Do not say a word Ross." Jacqui orders before turning back to Orion. "This is cold and heartless, even by your standards. You are destroying any happiness you can in this moment. Is this what you intended, to make hate grow from this moment on from a forced proposal?"

"Jacqueline." Ross' voice stops her from further ranting and she feels him take her hand. "I have had this ring for many weeks. I spoke with your brother this morning and despite the scuffle that entailed he gave his approval." She now sees the slight bruising under his eye and gently traces her fingers across it. He winces. "I then spoke with Orion. He also gave me permission as long as he would be the best man." Orion chuckles deeply behind them and Jacqui again sends him a glare. He quietens with a large grin on his face. "So here I am, asking you, of my own free will..." She giggles and he squeezes her hand gently. "Would you do me the honour of becoming my wife?"

"Promise me this is your choice and that man has not forced you into this." Jacqui pleads. Ross leans his forehead against hers.

"I love you and even without his forgiveness I would still ask you to marry me. Please do not keep me waiting." A mischievous light enters her eyes and she pretends to consider it. He squeezes her hand again, firmly this time. "Jacqui." He says lowly.

"Yes." She whispers. Ross grins and kisses her. Orion clears his throat loudly before they can get too consumed in the moment.

"I believe Jasper is waiting for you at home. You should go now. Ross and I have business to attend to." Jacqui looks over at him in astonishment. He cannot be serious! One look at his face, however, tells her that he is very serious. Ross pulls away from her shaking his head.

"You could not give us a few more moments?" Ross tiredly asks.

Orion laughs as if he has told a joke. "You will have plenty of time for moments after you are married. Come, we do not have time to waste." Jacqui groans and buries her head in Ross' shoulder. Ross chuckles and quickly embraces her before Orion has time to interfere.

"I think I preferred him being angry with us." Jacqui mumbles but Orion catches the meaning.

"That can be arranged if your fiancé does not come along now." Ross pats her on the back as he shares an amused look with Orion. He pulls away. Holding her at arm's length he grins at her.

"I will come and see you tonight. I promise."

"And Jasper shall be there to chaperone you." Orion adds. Jacqui laughs at the look on her betrothed face.

○ ○ ○

The ride is peaceful through the castles' grounds, nice steady terrain and beautiful flowers, shrubs and trees arranged artfully around them. Hunter and Zandar share a bored look when they know no one is watching. The pace has gotten no quicker than a trot and a sleepy one at that. Perhaps if they felt they were able to converse then it would have not been so mind numbing. Yet they were guards to Lady Arabella, and now also to the Crown Prince Theodore, and their job is to be silent and keep a careful watch out. Hunter does not see the point. They are still safely within the towering solid walls and those within have been verified. What dangers could they encounter?

Theodore and Arabella exchange pleasantries as they ride. Neither of them attempts to go any deeper in conversation. They are still strangers in most senses of the word. Alice bites her tongue, unsure of whether she is allowed to get involved or simply remain her Lady's shadow. The long lapses of silence are driving her rather insane. Theodore smiles as a bird swoops overhead singing a sweet tune. He turns in his saddle a little to glance back. "Hunter North." Hunter raises an eyebrow and nudges his horse to increase its pace slightly. "I have noticed your brother's absence. Where is he?"

"He had important family matters to address today." Hunter lies, not knowing where his brother is or what he is doing. "I am informed that he will be back to his duties tomorrow with no delay." Theodore nods and turns away from him, ignoring the lack of proper address from Hunter's lips.

"Lady Arabella." He stops short realising he has very little to say to the woman that will one day soon be his wife. "I trust that your rooms are comfortable and you have everything you need." He says as he would to any guest staying within the castle. She smiles but inside she cannot help but wonder how she is going to get her mind off of the man riding behind and onto the man riding beside her.

"Indeed, your highness." She looks to Alice for help. Alice beams at her.

"I heard your elder sister is expecting her first child, your highness. You must be overjoyed to soon be welcoming a niece or nephew. Will she be visiting anytime soon?" Alice easily asks. Theodore warmly smiles.

"I am afraid not. Her husband is worried for her health at this moment in time and wishes to keep her close to home. When the baby is born then they will visit. My mother will no doubt arrange a large celebration." Theodore replies, laughter now in his tone. Alice grins.

"How exciting!" She exclaims. "What a wonderful event to look forward too." Alice glances at Lady Arabella, hoping she will take advantage of the more natural air around the group now.

"Are you looking forward to the ball, your highness?"

Alice sighs happily as Theodore replies and any remaining awkwardness dissipates.  

Orion forgave them! ;) And Theodore and Arabella are now talking. Where does that leave Hunter...? 

Just wanted to say thank you so much for all of you that read, all of you who vote and all of you who comment! You've made me feel really positive and I know I would be struggling to write this if I didn't have all of your support! Please continue to read, comment and vote!