Chapter Eleven

I rowed until my arms ached and my chest heaved. Until the sky turned gold and the sun rose, making me unbearably hot. Until I looked up, and all I could see was endless blue waves. Until I realized I was lost.

I picked up a bottle of rum and pulled the cork out with my teeth, the way I had seen Jack do. But I wasn’t Jack. I wasn’t even a pirate. I was just a stupid girl. And I almost choked on the cork.

I wanted to cry, because I had been so stupidly precipitous. Why hadn’t I just waited until The Pearl made port? Why had I run away? I knew the answer. I was trying to make a point. Too bad I was going to end up dead before I could make it.

I had no idea where to go. My supplies were going to run out shortly. I lay down in the boat, getting a little bit of shade. I closed my eyes and dreamed things could be different.

I guess that’s what happens when you play with fire. You get your fingers burnt.

I must have gone to sleep, because I was jerked awake when my boat violently ran aground. I jumped up, struggling to keep my balance as a wave swept me and my boat ashore. I was deposited on hard, gritty sand, hot with the warmth of the sun. Salt water filled my lungs and I spent ages coughing. Finally, I was able to sit up and look around.

An island. Why do people always get marooned on islands? Why do their boats never take them to a nice town? WHY IS IT ALWAYS ISLANDS?

I dragged a hand through my hair, frustrated. I got to my feet. My boots crunched on the sand as I walked. I could see some trees in the distance. Trees meant shade. And possibly cocoanuts. I could survive, if I thought logically and didn’t panic.

I headed for the trees. The water that soaked my clothes was weighing me down. I would make a shelter for myself. Maybe with the splintered planks from the boat. And I would lie on the beach in the sun, drinking rum until I died. Or until someone came to save me.

I turned for a moment to glance over my shoulder. The sun shone in my eyes, and I could feel the warmth on my face. Someone would come and save me. I knew it.