Chapter Nineteen

"Geraldine, my dear," Alex said when she walked into the study later after her talk with Devlyn. "How is she?"

"Doctor Banyan removed the bullet from Amanda's shoulder and set her broken arm. He had to put some stitches in head and she's suffered a concussion," she answered him. "He's left until tomorrow or she wakes up. When she awakens he wants to know and he will return to the house."

"Is my mother going to be alright?" Jamie asked her.

"We don't know, your father said you could go up and see her but you have to be quiet. Tony will you take him," Geraldine asked turning to Tony.

"Yes," Tony replied. "Come Jamie."

Alex and Geraldine watched them leave and once they were gone, Geraldine gave way to tears and Alex wrapped his arms around her. "He's not sure she'll wake up and... and Devlyn doesn't want anyone to know right now but...she's with child and she could well lose the baby."

Geraldine's tears flowed as Alex patted and rubbed her back. "From the little I was around her today and what you have told me about her, I would say Her Grace is a fighter. Do not give up on her now, Geraldine."

"Nothing has gone right in Amanda's life since Warrick came into it," Geraldine sobbed. "I blame him for all of this. Jamie was taken first by that horrid Lady Farrell because she wanted revenge on Warrick and Amanda. Amanda would never have hit the woman if he had not told her that very morning of the woman's part in their having to marry. Amanda is up there fighting for her life because of him."

"I let you down, my dear," Alex told her. "It was my fault Reardon got away with her and she was hurt not Warrick's."

"What happened, Alex," she asked him.

"I moved to soon to trying to separate her from Reardon and he pulled a gun and forced us to let them leave together. We arrested his guards and the drivers of the two coaches. I did not think he had another way to escape but he out witted us. Reardon had another coach waiting in the alley for him and I should have thought of that. Once the coach overturned Reardon and the driver disappeared. I have men searching for them and his ship but I've not received any word on either. I keep wondering where Captain Cameron and Mr. Murphy are? We have heard nothing from them either and I would have thought they'd be here my now to find out what's happened."

"Maybe they found his ship," she answered him. "Alex you did everything you could to free Amanda from Reardon. I do not blame you for this."

"Thank you, my dear," Alex said and kissed the top of her head. She fit so well in his arms, he thought, her head not quite reaching to his chin. "If we don't hear something soon I will leave for the docks to search myself. I will send word to you as soon as I know anything."

"You should try to eat before you go. I know Farnsworth will see to it," Geraldine told him.

"I will if you will," he replied.

Geraldine left his arms and went to ring for Farnsworth.

                                                                                          * * *

Devlyn had moved a chair close to Amanda's bed after Geraldine left the room. Before he had sat, he folded back her covers, put his hand gently on her stomach, and saw just the slightest little mound. He probably knew her body better than she did now. On St. Kitts, he had fulfilled just about every fantasy he had ever had about them in bed making love together. He wondered if she realized after Reardon had kidnapped her she was having his baby. He wondered too, is she was happy about the baby. He was very happy and he prayed this one would be a little girl that looked like her mother.