Chapter 28: Ringed Happy Luck of Ours

Start from the beginning

“Ouch,” Jason feigned a wince. “Are you insinuating that I did the contract by myself? Well, let me inform you, Riley, that Larry’s Ice-cream’s attorneys made the contract with our attorneys. The only thing left is the sign of Larry or Andrew.”

“I didn’t mean to—“

“I’m just kidding, Cleveland-yo-girl. Now, that you have the papers, let me buy you a cookie. I heard that they are the best in town.”

Sighing, I clutched the papers and folded them inside my notepad’s sleeve. “I appreciate it, Jason, but I’m afraid I have to go.”

“Would you please give me a minute?” he pleaded, rushing his hand to stop me. “I admit that I’ve never seen a person so professional towards work like you, Riley. But would you please just hear me out?”

Blinking, I held an expressionless look on my face. “Okay…” I glanced at my phone and resumed my prayers. “But remember that this is a business meeting, Jason. I didn’t come here to eat cookies or drink coffee.”

“Consider the meeting over,” he sternly replied. “The day that we bumped into each other, I was following my ex-girlfriend. That morning, she let a note on my bed, saying that nothing will work out between us…”

There was a sparkle in Jason’s green eyes that griped my breath. I could relate to his sadness, well, Andrew could. Suddenly, I felt the urge to befriend him and hear him. Every human has the right to take things out of their chest, who am I to be so unsympathetic?

Warily, Jason sadly chuckled and ruffled his fire-like hair. “I’m sorry, Jason,” I whispered to him, retaining the urge to hold his hand and squeeze it softly.

“Nah, it’s okay,” he continued chuckle, staring at his now twiddling hands. “She studies in Gravestan and I stormed inside there with the note in my pocket, searching for her like a demented guy. I wanted her to tell me what she wrote in my face. Otherwise, I refused to believe that it was over.”

“I understand, Jason,” I nodded empathetically.

“While I searched for her, I made a deal with God… even if it sounds dumb. I asked him for just a minute without remembering her. I wanted to be at peace. And when I stumbled with you and talked to you, I forgot about her. I even forgot why I was in Gravestan. I didn’t even see her, I just ran after you but I couldn’t find you. Then you came to my life again and…”

“Jason,” I said, raising myself up from the chair, “I’m sorry, I can’t—“

“No,” he stood up as well. “Just think about it. It’ll be harsh if I get rejected twice in a month. I know this is kind of weird, but it isn’t a coincidence that we’ve meet again.”

Gathering all my stuff, I grabbed my bags and walked over the table to be close to him. “Then this is a goodbye. Have a nice day, Jason.”

“You too, Riley,” he said, looking straight at my eyes.

Hurriedly, I streamed towards the exit, dropped the bags, and dug out once again my phone. “Hello, Andrew?”

“Riley!”

Spinning around, I saw Jason running after me. “Jason?” Oh for Yoda, what the heck does he want now?

“Riley!” he repeated, stopping in front of me. “I just wanted to thank you for hearing me and for helping me forget her. If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t be sane enough to know the difference between black and white. Thank you, Riley.”

And before I could bark at him that I didn’t do anything, Jason leaned closer and kissed my cheek. “I’ll wait for you,” he whispered, before walking away and leaving me stunned.