Chapter 49 - Four All Over Again

Start from the beginning

     Rachel saw him and raised her hand a bit. Paul hugged her gently, "Ma, anong nangyari sayo? I told you to be careful."

     "I know, I know." She winced, sore throat from the tube, "Kasama mo si Ate? Ikaw lang ang umuwi?"

     "Yeah, just me." Paul's face changed.

     "Hey, did you guys fight?" Richard asked.

     "Well, I got angry at her kasi hindi niya maiwan 'yung trabaho niya du'n para kay Mama. Naturingan pa naman na doctor siya, " Paul replied.

     "Paul Vincent, sinabi mo 'yun sakanya?"

     "Not exactly that but.. yeah."

     Richard sighed, "Anak, I'm pretty sure that your Ate wants to be here more than anything right now. But sometimes, you just have to make a choice."

     "So hindi niya priority si Mama?"

     "She is her priority. Pero, " he sighs and stares at him, a signal that he needs to tell him something that Rachel can't hear.

     He gets it, "Fine. But I'm just saying."

     "'Nak, water?"

     He gets her water and holds it up to her mouth as she sips from a straw. He kisses her forehead and whispers, "Love you, Mama."

     She smiled and gently rubbed Paul's arm. Richard is happy that she's awake. He's holding her hand at her bedside, thankful to God that nothing too tragic had happened. 

     Rachel falls back asleep from the medications that caused her to be groggy. He grabs his phone and texts Paul: Your Ate is going home the day after tomorrow. Pero for one week lang kasi yun lang yung longest na pinayagan siya nung hospital or else she might get kicked out the clerkship program. 

     This makes Paul look at him and sigh. He texts back: That's good. Sorry.

     Richard looks at Rachel who is fast asleep. "It's okay, I understand. Magsorry ka din sakanya," he tells Paul.

     Paul smiles at him.

-------------------------------------------------

New York

     Louise is in the lounge when one of her Filipino classmates, Dr. Patrice Lopez, emerges from the doorway. "Gomez, I've heard of what happened from Dr. Jacobsen. It's good that you're going home."

     "Yeah. And staying here would be a bit worse because I'd be unfocused and worrying about my mom instead." She chuckles, "They might file a malpractice suit pa, hindi pa nga ako intern." They laugh.

     "Sabagay, that's true." She sits on the bench with her, "Don't worry too much, okay? Your mom will be okay." Patrice pats Louise's shoulder, "Tell your mom that I said hi and pagaling siya."

    Louise smiles, "Thanks." They stand up together, "Tara. Baka malate pa tayo sa evening rounds, uy!"

-------------------------------------------------

Fast forward---Manila, Philippines

     Louise's plane arrived at 6:43am at NAIA. She didn't bother asking her Papa to pick her since it was early in the morning.

     She hopped in a cab with her only luggage, "St. Lukes po tayo, Kuya."

---

     Louise arrived at the hospital and went to the nurse's stationin her mom's ward, "Excuse me?"