Prologue: Dark Nights

The rain's pitter-patter on the sidewalk echoed in Halvory's ears, she walked casually down the shadowed street. Her combat boot encased feet were completely silent as she continued her journey to Haven. Her skin-tight black leggings, dark gray tank top, and black knit sweater blended with the shadows. Fitting, for an Umbrar. Her ebony hair blew softly in the scarce wind, and her black eyes scanned the terrain, cautious of any pursuers. She took her black gloved hands out of her pockets, and with a flick of her wrist, a dark metallic gleam emerged from a handle gripped tightly in her hand.
Thwack!
The knife buried itself in the concrete wall next to the tall man following her. The man looked at the knife, bemused.
"Aw, Hal, is that any way to treat your old teammate?" The man teased, handing the knife back to Halvory. Halvory looked emotionlessly at the man and showed the man her middle finger.
"Withdraw. I have no need of your presence. If you continue to pester me, I will not hesitate to throw you to the spirits," Halvory sounds her threat. Her tone frosty, and her voice chilling to the very soul.
"Well, I just thought you would like to know, the prophecy children are coming," the man states casually. Halvory halts abruptly in her walk, turning around with an air of terror and intimidation, her deadly calm body language and cold obsidian eyes turned to acknowledge the man who spoke.
"Jezvenia confirmed that the prophecy would not be in effect during our lifetimes," Halvory states, her chilling tone unaffected by the man's words.
"Jez has always liked to think he knows everything, and apparently the Fates like to veil with us," the man shrugged, a knife hidden in his sleeve, unknown to Halvory.
"South, we must not let our children meet. Not until the Fates brings them together, we need to ensure they are ready for the weight the prophecy will put upon them," Halvory uttered the word prophecy with an emotion akin to hate.
"Yeah, agreed, I will raise my daughter, Eseata, in the Northern Steppes," South informed the woman. Halvory appeared to consider this.
"Vallencor and I will move with my sister to the Tenebris Mountains, I will inform her there, in the meantime, we need to stay in contact, send me a message by the Network. Now, I must leave, we can speak more of this at a later date," Halvory stalks down the sidewalk, violence, dark magic, and intimidation exude from her. Filling her aura. Making the air around her fill with the darkness she felt at home in.
South fingered the knife in his hand, flipping it, debating. If he killed Halvory, her son, Vallencor wouldn't make it to the mountain range, and he could take the power for his own. He could take the power from Halvory that would manifest in her son. Or, he could let her live, and possibly eliminate any chance South had of gaining enough power to...
South shook of these depressing thoughts, he knew what he had to do, it was very simple. The silver knife flashed.
The skin broke, allowing the knife into Halvory's fragile human body, muscle tissue tore, and organ tissue was pierced. Bright ruby red blood mixed with ebony blood spurted from Halvory's back. As the life drained out of Halvory, she sent up a silent prayer to her guiding goddess.
Please, Lunae, goddess of the moon and the shadows, accept my prayer, protect my son, give him strength, may he be prepared for the road that lies ahead. And may I have a seat at your table when my soul abandons my body and gravitates to the Great Drift. I pray to thee, great goddess Lunae, shelter my son until he is ready to fulfill his destiny.
Halvory smiled wryly at the stars, she thought back on the highlights of her life, the team, Roj, Vallencor, gaining her powers, she's enjoyed her hardship filled life, no matter the cost. Halvory finds peace with her death. Her eyes tracing the stars and constellations one last time before the soul fades from her eyes and her skin cools.
South looked at the cold corpse of his friend, mourning her, taking the knife out, he used his hand to close Halvory's eyes. He walked calmly away, finally finishing his mourning process just before the sun pierces the horizon line, bathing the city in a warm light. Illuminating the corpse of a formerly orphaned woman.
The child of Halvory, Vallencor, sleeps soundly in his crib, unaware that he is now a motherless child.

********

Hello, this is the author, call me Natalia, or Nat, your choice. This is the first book of this series I am making. I know it's completely different from what I usually write, but I have inspiration, a writing tool, and plenty of planned-out chapters, so we'll see where this goes. I'll see you on the other side, enjoy.
Until next time,
-Natalia