Chapter Two ~ Mismatch Chairs

Start from the beginning

My eyes opened slowly as they fought the urge to close again and let me drift into a blissful sleep. My groaning stomach woke me up, that along with a sweet scent lingering in the air around my. My stomach made a loud groan again, causing me to double over and try to quieten the noise.
I sat up straight, my hands stuffed in the dirt under me. Slowly standing up, I brushed dirt off my uniform and peered around. I had no idea where I was, but I did know I was hungry, and after the promise of meat after school I was mad.

I stomped around the ground, searching for any threes or any plants that would give any source of food. Again, an overwhelming sweet smell washed over me, nearly causing my mouth to water. Birds called loudly from the trees, making me aware of the pounding in my head. I silently cursed them and searched for food once again, but this time something a little sweeter in mind.

Placed under a dead plant was a tiny wooden chest.  It was finely carved and looked awfully delicate, as if the slightest touch would cause it to fall apart. The dead leaves had disguised it despite bring hidden in plain sight.

I slowly opened the lid, the cool against my warm hands. As the lid opened, a melody started to play. A music box, I thought to myself. The inside of the music box was decorated with deep crimson velvet with black lace lining the edges. Best of all, it revealed a small cake. It was no more than the size of my palm, but the aroma wafting around it was heavenly. The cake itself was decorated too, a cherry red painted over it, with white swirling letters that spelt ‘Eat Me’.

I dug into the tiny pastry without a second thought, savouring the sweet and savoury taste. Small crumbs broke off into my fingers, which I licked greedily. A relished in the sensation of flavour, until a stabbing pain shot through my body. I cried out, doubling over at the waist as piercing continued all over me. Falling to my knees, warm tears rolled down my cheeks.
What the crap, I thought squeezing my eyes shut.

As quickly as the agony had started, it stopped, and I was left with the lingering pain from the ordeal. I slowly made my way to a standing positing, carefully leaning on the ground beneath me for support, worried that the pain would come back. I hastily whipped the tears trails off my face and blinked to clear any

Finally standing on two feet, I noticed the dull throbbing in my left hand. Turning my palm to face me, I discovered the cause of my pain. A diagonal slash starting at the base of my index finger and stretching to the right heel of my palm was visible, blood oozing from the open wound. The liquid felt strangely hot against my cold pale skin. I took the ribbon from my hair and wrapped it around the gash.

There was nothing on the ground that could have caused the cut. The clean edges could only be achieve with a sharpened instrument; a knife or shard of glass, but all that lied on the ground was dirt and small scattered pieces of debris.

Where am I? I finally thought. The area surrounding me was unfamiliar in every aspect, no particular detail recognisable. Thick trees towered in front of me, no light able to pass the thick foliage. Grass grew in bushy patched on the ground, thickening as the forest got deeper, and I realised I was standing on the only piece of land where nothing grew, as if it were dead.

Eager to get away for the wasteland, I entered the forest. Everything was thick and green, odd compared to the dry patch I woke on. Tree trunks were covered in a furry moss and the delicate call of birds was evident. Bright flowers grew wildly across the vast woodland.
The words “left,” were carried to my ears by the wind, causing me to freeze. “Go left,” it called again, this time closer. I spun on my heel as I tried to catch the voice to no avail. “To your left,” the voice called again, this time with a sense of urgency.

I turned left as instructed, figuring that something was going to happen if I did; good or bad. If it turned out to be bad, it means I would just wake up, right? After wandering, I realised that I was walking on some sort of path. It had long been out of use, covering in greenery and barely noticeable, but if you knew about it, it would be hard to miss. I suspected that the path was made of something like concrete, stopping any trees able to grow.

Ahead in the clearing, where the sun shone through the trees somewhat brighter, was a thick oak table, and mismatched chairs. There was a dainty white chair with an elegant swirling design, along with a leather piano stool, a wooden rocking chair, a small brown ottoman and other assorted seating. At the head of the table sat a dark, faded green armchair that had seen better days with various fabrics to cover rips in the original material. But, my eyes weren’t drawn to the chair, they were drawn to the man sitting in it, or more specifically, his white, fluffy, bunny ears poking from the top of his head. His deep hazel eyes roamed over me, and a slow smile stretched over his lips.

“You’re late my dear, Alice,” he declared. 

___ 
Hey all, thank you for sticking round to read this. I know its bad right now, I just have to get the first -at least- 5 chapters out then I'll do a nice edit, say if theres any major changes (or just inform you) and hopefully make it better. 

This is un edited, and I plan on making them a lot better soon. Sorry and thanks