eight ↠ jonathan

It didn't take me long to realise that I'd traded in my old problems with Sarah Conway for a whole set of new ones.

It was actually worse having her mad at me than having her annoy me! The way she ignored me was a constant reminder that I'd been a jerk.

Then one day I was coming home from playing basketball with Oliver... and things got weird.

My grandfather, Henry Brandis, was sat in with Sarah Conway in her front yard!

a/n: I'm using Jonathan's parent's real names in this story. I tried to find out what the name of Jonathan's grandfather was, but I couldn't find anything, but I did, however, find out the name of Jonathan's paternal great-great-great-grandfather: Henry William Brandis (who his surname traces back to).

My grandfather. All I ever saw him wear was slippers. Where did he get those work boots?! I couldn't stop looking over there. And the more I looked, the madder I got.

My grandfather had already said more to Sarah in one hour than he'd said to me in the whole time he'd been living with us!

I was pretty sure I'd never seen him laugh. And what was his deal with Sarah Conway?

***

I was sat at my desk doing my Chemistry homework, when I heard a knock at the door. "Come in." I grumbled.

I looked up to surprisingly see my grandfather smiling down at me.

"Hi, Grandpa." I said, turning back to my homework.

My grandfather sighed and rested his hand on my desk, just beside my paper.

"Sarah told me about the eggs." He said, grabbing my attention. I put down my pencil down on the desk in front of me and turned to face him.

"You know, Jonathan, one's character is set at an early age. I'd hate to see you swim out so far you can't swim back. It's about honesty, son. Sometimes a little discomfort in the beginning can save a whole lot of pain down the road."

Before I could say anything in response, my grandfather gave me a small smile before walking out of my room and shutting the door behind me.

***

When it came to holding a grudge, Sarah Conway was truly impressive. All week I tried to approach her at school. She'd always find some way to duck me. And whenever she was in her yard, Grandpa was always there with her.

Finally, one Saturday I saw my opening. My grandfather had gone into town to buy some Bengay. I guess the yard work was starting to get to him.

I ran down the stairs and before my sister, who was sat in the living room listening to music, could ask where I was going, I hurried out of the door.

Once I'd reached Sarah, I shoved my hands in my pockets and smiled. "It's looking real good."

"Thanks. Henry did most of it." Sarah replied, avoiding eye contact.

"I'm sorry for what I did." I breathed out.
Sarah shook her head and looked up at me. "I just don't get it, Jonathan. Why didn't you just tell me?"

I shrugged. "I don't know! It was dumb. And I shouldn't have said anything about your yard, either."

"It wasn't right." Sarah said, pulling the worn out gardening gloves off her hands and standing up. "Maybe it's all for the best. I mean, look, I learned so much from Henry, it's amazing." Sarah paused for a moment before continuing.