Chapter Three: Play it Cool

Começar do início

They shook hands.

"I've heard so much about you, it's nice to finally meet you Aaina."

"Same here, Xannie hardly shuts up about you!" She giggled.

I could feel my face blushing up. No, no, no, stop that!

"Oh really?" Sweets glanced over at me, trying to hold back a grin.

I started giggling nervously. It's a habit that I've been trying to stop, but sometimes it just comes out.

Sweets looked at his watch, and then back at the both of us. "We should probably go now... Are you coming with us?"

Aaina shook her head. "Nope, I'm staying here to do super exciting paperwork." She laughed dryly and twiddled her thumbs while looking down. 

"Aww, well that's too bad. It was totally awesome meeting you though, I hope that you can make it with us some other time." He smiled at her and then the both of us started making our way to the bar.

...

We had music playing, but I wasn't really listening. I had other things on my mind. I was pretty sure that Aaina had lied to me just a couple of minutes ago, about why she wasn't able to come. It made me nervous.

"What's wrong?" Sweets looked over at me in the passenger seat.

 "Oh, it's, uh, nothing." I bit my lip. I wanted to talk about it, but with Sweets being a psychologist and all he's probably heard so many stories about people's lives. I didn't want to bother him with mine.

He pouted his lower lip a bit and his eyebrows furrowed. "Is it about Aaina? What happened?"

I sighed. "She's been secretive, which is super weird for her. She tells me everything, like literally, everything. And did you catch that lie, when she said she was doing paperwork? She fidgets when she lies, and I just don't know why she's lying about this. I just... I just don't get it. Ugh,"

Sweets empathized with my situation. "It's probably nothing big, Xandra... Have you tried talking to her about it?" 

I nodded my head. "Yeah, I've tried but every time I do she switches topics." 

"That sucks. Majorly. I'm sorry about that. Well whatever it is, you'll probably know soon. When she's ready to tell you, she will. How long have you been friends?" 

I thought for a second. "Since our first day of college. It was one of those quick starting friendships. It just happened and we've been best friends ever since."

He nodded. "That's cool. Well we're here, are you ready to go in and see everyone or do you need a minute?"

I laughed. "I think I'll be good, but I've got something to confess first..."

He raised his eyebrows. "And what's that?"

"I've... Never actually had alcohol. Ever."

"Is that a religious thing?"

"No, no, I'm not that religious, I've just never had the opportunity." 

Sweets nodded and smiled. "I'm happy to be able to share this milestone with you."

"Me too," I grinned nervously, "now let's go and get this started!" 

...

We both walked in, and saw Angela waving to us. She was standing next to Vincent and some other guy with copper-colored curly hair. He looked friendly.

"Hi, guys," I spoke.

Angela's face lit up. "Hey, Alex," she went in for a hug, "you look fantastic!"