Something Entirely New

"Sapphire...I have this strange feeling for you.", Ruby admitted in utmost embarrassment. She was to insecure and uneasy to look her in the eyes. This was the first time she had ever such a thing. Isn't this wrong? No gem is supposed to feel this way toward another gem, it's against the rules. Gems are forbidden to what is called... 'love', right?

To Ruby's surprise, Sapphire caressingly touched her chin and lifted her head. Her fingers were soft and cold. She parted her hair to look into Ruby's eyes as her eye began to swell with a tear.

"Ruby, you are the only reason I am alive. The only piece of self worth I have.", she said in the softest voice. Her voice was so smooth, she sounded like she was singing when she spoke. Her voice was the breeze that gently struck her heart.

"No! That's not true!", Ruby shouted sharply, as a tear rolled down her warm face.

"You are the only reason I am alive! I don't know why...but when I'm with you...I feel..safe and stable. You make me feel like everything is okay when it really isn't, Sapphire. You're beautiful. You and everything you are is absolutely beautiful.", she asserted in a full rage of tears.

"Please don't get upset. It hurts me to see you in pain.", Sapphire said in a smooth tone full of genuine love and consideration.

"I know this sounds strange...but...it's like...", her voice withered away.

"Never mind, it's stupid...", she said in painful doubt.

"I want to be so close to you...so much so, that that degree isn't even physically possible.", Ruby shouted to Sapphire's surprise. A moment of a brief awkward pause swept.

"What did I just say!?", Ruby thought. Her face began to heat up and her fists clamped in frustration.

"And...we were supposed to be made as one but were split apart.", Sapphire continued.

Ruby looked up to make eye contact once more.

"Sapphire...You're the other half of me that I had lost...somewhere along the way."