Chapter 8: Just like the movies

Nick laughed at Maymay's reaction to the dialogue.

"What? We don't want anything that involves gore, horror and heavy drama-ish. We just want to feel the love." Nick gulped as he saw Maymay's clenched fist. "Admit it. That scene I chose is perfect for this audition."

"This? Perfect?" Maymay frustratingly uttered in a hushed tone. She wouldn't want the others to think she has a problem with anything. "Perfect? Nah! It would be perfect if we insert the part where I beat you up." She threatened.

Nick laughed again but just to heed her warning, he hurriedly took a seat — a seat that took him far from Maymay's hands — and demanded the two to proceed with the scene.

"Can we at least read it again, Nicholas? You know, just so we'd know what we're going to do?" Maymay said irritably.

So Maymay and Edward studied the scene. She gave pointers to him as he hasn't seen the movie yet. Barely a minute after they finished the last line, Nick shouted again. "Get ready!"

"Ready?" Edward asked as he took a step closer to Maymay. He looked at the dialogue to check Maymay's character name and asked again. "Are you ready, Ikay?"

"Ready when you are." She paused for effect. "Aren."

Maymay began re-reading it silently and her stomach plummeted again. She loved this scene from her favourite movie* 'The Look of Love'. She remembered acting out this scene in front of the mirror countless times because she just loved it so much. Never knew she'd get to do this in front of many people. Oh, how she longs to wring Nicolas' neck.

"Three, two, one — Action!" Nick loudly signalled.

Left with no choice, the two complied.

[Note: Below is an adaptation of an excerpt from the PBB Live Drama 'Titig ng Pag-ibig'.]

"Your family loves you." Maymay started to act in character as Ikay.

"I can't see it." Edward effectively said as Aren. His eyes focused on Maymay and her alone. "I don't feel it."

And so, yeah.

Edward's eyes.

On her.

Safe to say.

Everything else faded out.

"It's not even difficult to love you." Maymay spontaneously said, as this was what her character entailed. She didn't need to look at the script. She knew it by heart and this realization made her feel so awkward.

And that awkwardness, after she spoke those words, enveloped them. The same awkwardness that the scene required was achieved — even the others watching from the sidelines held their breath, afraid to ruin the chemistry-filled awkwardness they created.

Maymay and Edward looked anywhere but at each other, then, as if rehearsed not only once, they shouted together. "Shooting star!" Their synchronized movement was applaudable as they pointed up to an invisible shooting star.

And just like in the movie, the two exchanged smiles and knowing looks. However, this time, both wondered when and how they started seeing the other not as Ikay and Aren, but as Maymay and Edward.