Chapter 5

Alone again, I ponder who my next target should be. Almost immediately, I rule out George. As much as it tore me apart, Siobhan was happy with him. The least I could do was act like I was happy about it and not wanting to kill him. For Adrian's sake. If Siobhan was upset, he'd probably kill himself (and therefore me). I take a small mercy from the fact that if he hurts her I can do whatever I want. 

I pushed him out of my mind so that I could focus on the business at hand. Realistically, there were three people to blame for the anger burning through my soul. Three people that would have to die in order for me to feel truly satisfied. Siobhan would be granted immunity though, seeing as how she's crucial to Adrian's survival. So that left the father and the best friend. I try to weigh up in my head who'd caused me the most anguish. On the one hand, Adrian's father HAD gone behind his family's back multiple times. But then again, his best friend had pretty much stabbed him when he was at his most vulnerable. So I suppose they were pretty much even. I start to think that maybe I could arrange for them to be in the same place at the same time... 

Don't you dare. 

Oh good, you're back. Just in time too. Do you think your dad and Robin would be likely to meet up anywhere soon? 

I don't know, and you're not going to find out. 

Really? And how're you going to stop me? In case you'd forgotten, I'm now in control of your body, as well as most of your mind. 

Not for much longer. Check the pocket of your jeans. I slowly slip my hand into the pocket, and my hand curls around a cold metal cylinder. I pull it out, and my mouth drops open in shock. 

Well well well, looks like Adrian's getting sneaky. When did you manage to get this into my pocket? 

Back in the cell. If you remember, I got put on a double dosage last week. But I only pushed one syringe out of the window. While I was pretending to hold you off, I put the extra one into what was my pocket at the time, knowing that you have a habit of underestimating me.  

Oh yes, very clever. But there's still the slight issue of getting me to inject myself with that stuff. I grin inside the part of my mind that doesn't belong to him. 

Thought of that. I can be very determined when I want to be. And we all know how easily you get distracted. 

What the hell's that supposed to mean? I use as much mental strength as I possess to force an image of my father into his thoughts. I feel his anger taking over, and I smile. I wait for his anger to reach a peak before I make a break for it. I encounter a little resistance, but I manage to get far enough into his head that it's a fairly even divide between us. I use his moment of shock to push him back slightly. It's not much, but it's enough that I'm able to regain control of my arm. I wince as the needle pierces my skin, but manage to push the plunger down. Colin roars inside my brain, but as the anti-depressants work he is forced back into the depths of my mind. 

I allow myself a moment to be relieved at the fact I'm back in control. That's when I become aware that I'm not alone. A suited figure stands in the trees a couple of metres behind me. As I turn to run, he calls my name. 

"I don't mean you any harm Adrian. In fact, I want to offer you a job." I stop and turn to face him. "We've been keeping an eye on you for quite a while. We don't know how you did what you did at Annie King's house, but we did discover traces of background energy left behind at the scene. It was nothing we'd ever seen before, so we'd like the opportunity to conduct some experiments with it. We'd like you to join our research team. You don't require any training; all you'll have to do is be contained within a room and let your inner demon take control. You'll be at no risk whatsoever, are you interested? For the first time in a while, I feel a natural smile forming on my lips.